Growth Spurt

Mag

Hey, i was wondering what the height of a normal male growth spurt is (the actual spurt it self)

Is it only 1 year - you get this amazing height a year, or can it cover many years?

thanks

I believe it's of the close order of a year, but obviously there will be a spread across individuals. Try googling combinations of adolescent development growth male height duration. Let us know what you find.

well, i typed in what you said, and found this:

"The average growth spurt lasts 24-36 months.

Growth during the year of PHV (peak height velocity) in the normal female averages 9 cm/yr and varies normally from 5.4 cm to 11.2 cm. In the normal male, the PHV averages 10.3 cm/yr and varies normally from 5.8 cm to 13.1 cm."

on that same site, i found an equation for predicting the height of males and females.

for girls:

(fathers height - 13cm) + mothers height) / 2

for boys:

(fathers height +13cm) + mothers height) / 2

and you should get a height, and from that height you take + or - 2 inches. but its hard to tell, of course.

It seems about right, i got 71'' from the equation, added on 2, and there is my height!

but im only 17... and i hope i grow more... :D

I never had a growth spurt. I just grew at a constant rate. I was always a relatively huge kid, so I figured I would always be a relatively huge person. Well, I was wrong. :mad:

I wish I was big.

sure' date=' thing.

do they really? permanently? :eek:[/quote']No. Only while they are weightless. Gravity drags the individual vetrebrae closer together. In zero-g your spine stretches. Once you are back on Earth it returns to normal..

ohhh right, of course!

i learned about that: that in the morning, you are taller than you are in the day time/evening.

because when you lie down, your spine stretches out, and is not being crunched by gravity. but when you stand up, for a few hours, it starts to get smushed. :)