Fire

Guest snowcrash

Guest snowcrash

I seem to remember back in grade school that I read an atricle about the early study of fire. The study stated that it was thought fire was an actual element itself and exsisted in everything. What was the name of this element?

SnowCrash

Originally posted by snowcrash

I seem to remember back in grade school that I read an atricle about the early study of fire. The study stated that it was thought fire was an actual element itself and exsisted in everything. What was the name of this element?

SnowCrash

Fire! In the early studies fire, water, earth, and wind the four elements which made up everything. Its a frequently known study that almost everyone knows about that was invented by some greek dude, which was later crossed out as impossible by some later scientist who said there was like thirty something elements. Don't remember names.

'Fire' was one of the greek elements (Fire, earth, air, water).

It's not the same concept of element that exists in chemistry, which is a chemical with a unique number of protons.

Fire is now understood to be an exothermic oxidation reaction (at least conventional fire).

In the 1700's it was believed all substances contained stuff called 'phlogiston'. things that burned quickly, wood etc, rapidly disspiated their quantity of phlogiston. fire was the act of phlogiston rapidly leaving its host substance. rusting was a slower release of the substance.

Lavoisier (with the help of an English chemist called Priestly) eventually discovered oxygen.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

and several mice. or was this just the boring experiment where they burnt stuff and watched the volume of gas drop?

The one where they burnt the mice?

Yes, when they heated mercury it burned up a fifth of the air and when mice were exposed to this air they promptly died. when the red mercury oxide was heated at a higher temperature pure oxygen was obtained and it was observed that the mice were hyperactive in this environment.

If they burnt mice it was probably due to the absurd amount of opium and hash they smoked in those days.