Nitric acid, what am i doing wrong?

gold digger

Hey

I am trying to make some nitric acid by mixing potassium nitrate(impure source), hydrochloric acid(30%) and copper.

I start by dissolving potassium nitrate in warm water, then adding the hydrochloric acid and copper.

But there is no reaction. i think it may be because of the impurity in the potassium nitrate.

The potassium nitrate source is mixed with Potassium perchlorate and Barium nitrate.

If this is the case, can somebody tell me how i can purify the potassium nitrate?

Edited by gold digger

• 3 weeks later...

Calcium oxide is pretty hard to find where i live.

You don't have ready access to Calcium Carbonate rocks.. ?

It decomposes to Calcium Oxide and Carbon Dioxide

CaCO3 + heat -> CaO + CO2

Edited by Sensei

You don't have ready access to Calcium Carbonate rocks.. ?

It decomposes to Calcium Oxide and Carbon Dioxide

CaCO3 + heat -> CaO + CO2

Thanks for info

I'm new to chemistry, but if i heat up chalk in a steel tube, could i use that to dry the gas?

Edited by gold digger

I'm new to chemistry, but if i heat up chalk in a steel tube, could i use that to dry the gas?

Chalk (for drawing on blackboards) doesn't have to be made of CaCO3. It could be CaSO4.

You can check it by using acetic acid.

CaCO3 reacts with CH3COOH and release CO2 gas (a lot).

Yes, you can use it to dry gas.

Like it's showed f.e. on this page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standard/chemistry/plasticsandothermaterials/fertilisers/revision/6/

0f1d175c62feaa706fa455eef5e6ad59a8e6e839

Edited by Sensei

• 2 weeks later...

hello again

I was wandering if i am able to purify ammonia from liquid NH4Cl, or if there is some way i can dry it?

the solution i use only contain 5 - 15 % ammonia, so i got some problems when i was trying out the process.

The comments for the question mention stripping ammonia from a water in a digestate of a Biogas plant. Ammonia can be removed from waste streams by steam or air stripping after adding NaOH to suppress formation of ammonium ions. (http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/174/why-is-distillation-not-a-viable-way-to-seperate-ammonia-from-water)

Is it possible to add NaHO to the solution and boil off the water, then use the dry chemical or do another step, so i can use it?