Geomagnetic storm

I just read about this in another thread' date=' and I have a question.

Look at the following picture.

What are the units on the Y axis.

They say DN/s

Thanks

Data Number/second. As far as I can tell it's related to counts per second, but some gain or calibration factor hasn't been included.

What particles are they counting?

I imagine photons, initially, and then converted to electrons in a multiplier, or something like that. You'd have to check on the specific satellite to make sure, and see what part of the spectrum they were looking at.

I imagine photons, initially, and then converted to electrons in a multiplier, or something like that. You'd have to check on the specific satellite to make sure, and see what part of the spectrum they were looking at.

Ok thanks.

It sure is a cool looking picture.

Regards

anyone know if one happened today over Europe at all?

I had PERFECT propogation fron 01 and 14 division, and considering I was only a wire dipole inside my shed on curtain hooks and had a good 10 minute over with France twice! that`s pretty damn good!

my operating conditions were the 1/4 wave wire dipole at 25 watts peak on 27.555 USB at 3pm GMT.

we dont USUALY get that kind of "skip" without a Solar Flare or 2 in the 11 year cycle!

just for interest one of the lads I spoke to was on the sugar delta A380 team (yes the crew that helped make the Airbus). we`ll QSL later :)