Clock terminology

swansont

Johnny brought up a point about synchronizing clocks in relativity.

There is a difference between synchronization and syntonization. The former means that the clocks read the same, the latter means they have the same frequency but no effort has necessarily been made to make them read the same. You can do one without doing the other.

There is also possibly an issue about how one does the synchronization of a clock. To be a valid application of special relativity you have to use relativity principles, and know when they apply.

There is a difference between synchronization and syntonization. The former means that the clocks read the same' date=' the latter means they have the same frequency but no effort has necessarily been made to make them read the same.[/quote']

I have never heard of syntonization before. Can you explain that using simple mathematics Dr. Swanson?

Here is the first thing I've read on it: Definition of syntonization

Clock synchronization - setting clocks to read the same time at a given instant

Clock syntonization - setting clocks to the same frequency (rate), regardless of the time they display.

Clock syntonization - setting clocks to the same frequency (rate), regardless of the time they display.

Do you mean like setting the second hand to 1Hz or something?

(Swansont, congrats on the first thread you've ever started!)

Do you mean like setting the second hand to 1Hz or something?

(Swansont' date=' congrats on the first thread you've ever started!)[/i']

Yes. You can compare some signal (usually 5 MHz or 1 pps, but any frequency would do) and make sure the frequencies are the same.

Making sure they read the same time, as well, means you have to measure phase within a cycle so you can make that equal, and make sure you are on the same cycle.

Now you originally mentioned syntonization as opposed to clock syntonization, but then you go on to talk about clocks, so if you are referring to syntonization with clocks when would the frequency of the clock change? I assume in time dilation is the obvious answer...

And also if you are dealing with clocks, why do you want a 5MHz signal?

Dr. Swanson,

How does special relativity deal with what you call syntonization?

In my paper on relativity, I analysed what you call 'syntonization' actually quite a bit. Maybe I will go into some of that analysis. Gamma appeared in my formulas, as a difference in clock rates, regardless of whether or not SR was correct.