vital question!

Sarahisme

lol i need to know if am doing this right....vitally! (ok thats not the right word, maybe quickly? i dunno anyways, i'm rambling...)

the question is:

"identify the functional groups present in indigo"

i would say there are the CO and NH functional groups (whatever the names of them are?)

how far off am i? lol or right on the money? (hopefully! :) )

this is the structure:

Carboxyl group and Amino group?

quite possibly, I tend to think in INorganic terms, I`m no ORGO chemist, I`m learning slowly though :)

would I be wrong in saying it LOOKS like some sort of Di-Pentane structure with aromatics?

I don't know whether the names "carboxyl group" and "amino group" can be applied in other structures other than protein and peptides.

They definatley can be applied to other structures. However there is no carboxyl group present here. Carboxyl is COOH, carbonyl is CO. I also forgot to mention the two benzene rings, they count as function groups.

The correct answer would be "amino", "carbonyl", "double bond", as well as the "benzene" ring functional groups.

Eventhough the benzenes are so highly deactivated in this molecule you might not be expected them to be mentioned, they are still functional groups.

*Sorry for the double post*

"two phenyl groups"

I'm pretty sure that phenyl is used only for benzene rings substituted at only one postition. I don't think it applies to fused heterocyclic compounds. Aromatic ring or benzene ring would be more accurate.

Aromatic

Carbonyl

Amine

Alkene

I'm pretty sure that phenyl is used only for benzene rings substituted at only one postition[/b']. I don't think it applies to fused heterocyclic compounds. Aromatic ring or benzene ring would be more accurate.

Too right