Brain and Consciousness

DrmDoc

Pattern recognition would have to indicate that our experimental brain is aware of its experience, which is implausible without a sensory apparatus to distinguish that experience and sensory references to define that experience.

I think this is an assumption of the conclusion. Of course I don't know that any sort of consciousness can exist outside of a sense percieving state but I believe our sense deprived brain would simply seek out other input whether thats the heart pumping blood to it or some other changes in its condition. I believe it would seek to better understand the nature of its condition so that it can improve its state.

Life doesn't need terminology to experience consciousness. It doesn't need other individuals or experience to know it exists.

I believe our sense deprived brain would simply seek out other input whether thats the heart pumping blood to it or some other changes in its condition. I believe it would seek to better understand the nature of its condition so that it can improve its state.

How would a sensory deprived brain from inception seek or perceive changes in its condition without a sensory system or apparatus? As you may know, even a embodied brain doesn't have that capability; therefore, why would a disembodied, sensory deprived brain seek to change what it doesn't and cannot perceive?

I believe it would seek to better understand the nature of its condition so that it can improve its state.

That suggests a preprogrammed imperative that requires feedback to function properly. This functional imperative would require a capacity to sense distinctions in its nature, which the brain doesn't have independent of bodily sensory.

Life doesn't need terminology to experience consciousness. It doesn't need other individuals or experience to know it exists.

Of course not; however, to experience consciousness, life would at the very least have to possess a capacity to perceive or distinguish experience. Can life perceive experience without a sensory apparatus? I agree, terminology isn't necessary for consciousness; however, a capacity to interpret or distinguish experience from a state opposite of experience is essential. If this perspective holds true, then consciousness is likely not an exclusively innate quality.

Edited by DrmDoc

That suggests a preprogrammed imperative that requires feedback to function properly. This functional imperative would require a capacity to sense distinctions in its nature, which the brain doesn't have independent of bodily sensory.

Yes. I believe this is essentially a good definition of "life".

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that a living brain can't be deprived of all sensory input. It would simply generate its own input if it were necessary. It would organize and try to understand this loop. Somehow I'm reminded of a book I read long ago; "Johnny Got His Gun" I believe it was called.

I began this thought exercise thinking it might clarify questions regarding our brain's precise role in the origin and production of consciousness. I believed, as many do, that consciousness was a quality innate to brain function and that it emerges independent of any other contributing factor. This discuss has convinced me otherwise. As I now understand and believe, our brain does not and cannot generate consciousness without a sensory apparatus and sensory input. This perspective positions the brain as merely a machine that refines consciousness with sensory input and experience as its raw materials. I agree that every normal brain has a consciousness producing potential; however, that potential is empirically reliant on contributing factors external to brain function.