25 replies to this topic

#21 Kettle

Kettle

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFortress of Impenetrable Darkness, UK

Posted 28 July 2003 - 04:33 PM

That is just SO strange (yet decidedly cool).

So, considering the speeds and distances that have been recorded in quantum entanglement experiments, does anyone think that inter-dimensional travel might be involved (or have I just seen B5 one too many times?).

I mean, if you alter the spin of one electron and immediately record an identical change in the other entangled electron, rather than saying that this change has been communicated at faster than light speeds, could you say that this connection exists outside of our dimension?

I really hate using the term Dimension - it's so Star Trek ;)

#22 Guest_DHill_*

Guest_DHill_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:56 PM

mastersamwise said in post #16 :
As a general note i have to say that although i concede that quantum physic is one of the most powerful tools of undertanding the world that we have had to date I have to err on the side of Einstein, he never truly accepted the field and i have to say i agreee; it has lead to some 'interesting' theories that noone can prove or disprove.
I may sound old fashioned but surely this is contrary to the very nature of science (empirical facts and all that....)

I've wondered a lot about that. I can't tell if it was a pride issue with Einstein or if he had any justification for it. Possibly it was an ego thing, given that his greatest contributions came in 1905 and then 1915, and suddenly a bunch of new and interesting young minds come in and revolutionize science all over again? Just a thought.

Quantum Mechanics is a strange field because there are only a few models that can be easily solved. It begins so simply. Write down the Hamiltonian, and solve. But that only goes so far. In condensed matter, for example, the favorite Hamiltonian is some version of a harmonic oscillator or a free electron, but with further inspection one will quickly find that pencil and paper are inadequate for more detailed solutions, and turn to the computer.

Maybe it will seem more clear after a few hundred years (if we last that long). In the way that the procedures of Lagrangian mechanics simplify Newtonian mechanics, maybe there is something equally simple for quantum that has not yet arrived (?).

#23 rebeldog

rebeldog

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts
  • LocationScotland (Fort William to be exact)

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:08 PM

You must have heard about the experiment in Switzerland when 2 entangled photons were split and sent in opposite directions (about 7 km each way) with a counter at each end. The counters would randomly count photons at their end. There was statistical evidence to suggest that a photon knew its partner had been counted (observed) at the opposite end. This could mean that particles are communicating at c+ speeds when they become aware of each other when counted or observed. A crazy and beutiful situation has arisen which opens up god knows what!

#24 JaKiri

JaKiri

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:15 PM

You must not have read the thread on Scienceforums.net when RadicalEdward explained (or at least posted the link to the explanation) of this phenomenon and how it doesn't break the c speed limit.

#25 bigjnorman

bigjnorman

Quark

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:07 AM

yeah, all entanglement really does is show that their is a correleation between probabilities of the particles,

an even more impressive experiment was done using gravitational lensing of a distant star's photons, just having a detector along one of the paths was enough to make the photons "choose" one path or the other even though they should have "chosen" which path, or both, millions of years ago. ( i can't remember if wheeler did this or not)

#26 blike

blike

Where are my ponies?

• Administrators
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:25 AM

I think it was a thought experiment by wheeler. Here is some good info on the effect.

http://www.bottomlay...-scully-web.htm

Its the famous delayed choice quantum eraser paper, with commentary in plain english. Its pretty neat how a pattern registered by positrons at Time1 depends on information gathered at time2 at the conclusion of the experiment.
John
SFN Administrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users