My Hypothesis on Dimensions

BCphoton

studiot, on 25 Apr 2016 - 6:41 PM, said:snapback.png

I rather suspect what you are trying to describe is what is known as a source or sink, which is a point in a flow pattern where charge or material enters or leaves the manifold (often 2 dimensional) in question. This means that conservation laws are not observed, amongst other things.

For instance the outlet hole in your bath is a sink as the water exits the bath.

I think, perhaps, you are speculating that there are points like this in our universe that are connected to other 'universes'

How does that sound?

Is projective geometry and cartography not a form of overlap of dimensions?

BC Photon

Ah, okay. Good to know, I will keep that in mind for future posts. That is somewhat that I am trying to say, but did explain it a bit more in detail above.

I await further discussion, but it is your idea to develop so we can only open doors for you to explore further, we can't do your work for you.

I will, of course, happily explain anything I've suggested in more detail.

Right, but what if there was a collection of 'points' on that plane that are the same? For example, imagine a plane with multiple points labeled as A, but on different coordinates. They are all still point A, but yet when put onto a plane occur at multiple points. That is basically what I am trying to explain, is what if there exists a realm of a 'point' like that, and shows up at multiple places in our universe?

I am a bit concerned by this idea that you have multiple points that are different, but the same point.This idea is ill formed at the moment and needs sorting out properly. Some of my suggestions actually offer something similar, a mapping or connection so that different points are mapped to one point.

Right, but what if there was a collection of 'points' on that plane that are the same? For example, imagine a plane with multiple points labeled as A, but on different coordinates. They are all still point A, but yet when put onto a plane occur at multiple points.

That's essentially just an intersection from a higher dimension or the warping of the coordinate system. Mathematically it would most easily be described as the severe warping of space, though that specific warping hasn't been observed in real life. To explain how that would happen, start with a plane, just a regular old square and imagine that it represents the fabric of space-time. Then, fold the plane over itself 1-6 times and poke a single hole through it.

When you unfold the plane again, you'll find that one poke made several holes in the plane at once and that's essentially how a wormhole works. It's more complicated of course because you're talking about warping 4 dimensional space, not just a plane though mostly what you're doing is just saying two different locations are brought together via the warping of space. So mathematically you could have the space of the sphere be bent and warped to allow a path through one point to lead to another part of the sphere's surface. All your doing with these points that have different spacial locations that are all connected in 4D space is the same as with a plane; folding sections sections of spacetime so they meet in one place.

You could also describe it more as the higher dimensional pathway doing the work of bending instead of space itself, like if you took a wire in 3d space and poked both ends through a 2D plane, the electricity traveling through the wire from the reference of the merely 2D plane would appear to start in one point of the plane and pop out in the other end without traveling through the intervening area as if it teleported or conservation laws were violated, even though all the electricity did was travel in a third dimension.

Not coincidentally, this higher dimensional model is exactly the sort of thing scientists use to uphold conservation laws in sub-atomic physics in new models because of the principal I just demonstrated wherein energy or a particle simply travels through another higher dimensional path rather than just a regular 4d path instead of inventing some new and unmeasured particle. Whether or not that is what's actually happening is up for debate, we don't have a strict "need" for higher dimensions beyond 4 but it's convenient to use higher dimensional models to achieve accurate results in some cases.

Edited by BiotechFusion

Sorry for my late reply! I have been very busy with many things lately, and hope to pick up here again.

I await further discussion, but it is your idea to develop so we can only open doors for you to explore further, we can't do your work for you.

I will, of course, happily explain anything I've suggested in more detail.

I am a bit concerned by this idea that you have multiple points that are different, but the same point.This idea is ill formed at the moment and needs sorting out properly. Some of my suggestions actually offer something similar, a mapping or connection so that different points are mapped to one point.

I know it is not well developed yet, and hope to achieve that soon enough. My way of wording it isn't the greatest, but I just cannot think of another way to say exactly what my thoughts here are, so that is the closest representation.

That's essentially just an intersection from a higher dimension or the warping of the coordinate system. Mathematically it would most easily be described as the severe warping of space, though that specific warping hasn't been observed in real life. To explain how that would happen, start with a plane, just a regular old square and imagine that it represents the fabric of space-time. Then, fold the plane over itself 1-6 times and poke a single hole through it.

When you unfold the plane again, you'll find that one poke made several holes in the plane at once and that's essentially how a wormhole works. It's more complicated of course because you're talking about warping 4 dimensional space, not just a plane though mostly what you're doing is just saying two different locations are brought together via the warping of space. So mathematically you could have the space of the sphere be bent and warped to allow a path through one point to lead to another part of the sphere's surface. All your doing with these points that have different spacial locations that are all connected in 4D space is the same as with a plane; folding sections sections of spacetime so they meet in one place.

You could also describe it more as the higher dimensional pathway doing the work of bending instead of space itself, like if you took a wire in 3d space and poked both ends through a 2D plane, the electricity traveling through the wire from the reference of the merely 2D plane would appear to start in one point of the plane and pop out in the other end without traveling through the intervening area as if it teleported or conservation laws were violated, even though all the electricity did was travel in a third dimension.

Not coincidentally, this higher dimensional model is exactly the sort of thing scientists use to uphold conservation laws in sub-atomic physics in new models because of the principal I just demonstrated wherein energy or a particle simply travels through another higher dimensional path rather than just a regular 4d path instead of inventing some new and unmeasured particle. Whether or not that is what's actually happening is up for debate, we don't have a strict "need" for higher dimensions beyond 4 but it's convenient to use higher dimensional models to achieve accurate results in some cases.

Right, that does make sense. My idea here though is similar but different from that, being what if said point works by having fewer dimensions than what we see, rather than more. I do have a question for everyone as well. If there is in fact a realm where there are fewer dimensions than what we perceive, what do you think that would look like to us?

BCphoton

My idea here though is similar but different from that, being what if said point works by having fewer dimensions than what we see, rather than more. I do have a question for everyone as well. If there is in fact a realm where there are fewer dimensions than what we perceive, what do you think that would look like to us?

I already offered you this but you don't seem to want to discuss it.

Take our Earth with its lines of longitude.

3 dimensions

All the lines of longitude end at one point (well 2 actually), a pole.

Now open out the surface to become a mercator map.

2 dimensions

But all the lines of longitude are still there

However they no longer meet but reach the end of the map at different points.

Do you want to discuss this further?

I mentioned the word manifold, if you understand what this means please say so as this is an example.

Edited by studiot

If there is in fact a realm where there are fewer dimensions than what we perceive, what do you think that would look like to us?

We can for sure have systems that are effectively lower dimensional. Either these systems have symmetries so we can remove some of the dimensions from our discussion or the systems are confined to subsapaces, such as thin sheets of graphine or nano-wires.