Our concept of time past in the universe from a relative perspective.

BeebeYourself

This may be a dumb question... I really don't know...

The expansion of the universe, from the big bang, has obviously left most if not all matter moving at a very high speed. My question is what kind of effect on our perception of time, while moving at such a speed, could this have? Could this factor change what we can observe about the past of the universe?

Maybe the concept that everything else, or space itself, expands at around the same speed cancels it out or something? I'm not sure if that's even true.

However, if the vacuum of space is in fact standing still compared to the speed at which we move through space, then could it not be possible that things happening in the slower area would appear to happen much faster or slower than we expect? Maybe that's already accounted for in calculations?

I hope this isn't a question only an idiot would ask... be gentle. :unsure:

The thing is, speed is always relative to something else (and that something else can't be "space"). So we can measure the speed of the Earth round the Sun, or the speed of the Sun round the galaxy, and the movement of our galaxy relative to others. But there is nothing that says we are moving at high speed in any absolute sense. From some points of view we are moving very fast and from others (e.g. mine) we are not moving at all.