Will this gold extraction work?

Sorsor_7

Im 11 so since it's Easter tomorrow we were dying eggs. My mom bought this really cheap 24K Easter egg paint that didn't work very well because it didn't stick to the eggs. We weren't disappointed because we already made cool egg designs so it didn't really matter. It did actually have little gold leaf flakes in it (I checked under a microscope). My mom said I could have it for my chemistry experiments. I did some research and it is made of 3 things. 1. Fine 24K gold flakes, 2. water, 3. a water-soluble binder. I thought if i made Aqua Regia with hydrochloric acid and nitric acid. I then thought if i could pour the gold containing paint into the Aqua Regia to form Chloroauric Acid, I could use an aqueous solution of sodium metabisulfate and put it in the Chloroauric Acid to precipitate fine gold. Please tell me if this would work, and/or what i could change to make it work.

If you want to get the gold out, simply add more water to dilute the binder, the gold will then fall the bottom of the container and you can simply pour off the water.

BTW there isn't a lot of gold in the paint. It is VERY thin foil, hence it is easily suspended in the paint. I'm afraid you aren't going to get rich.

I hope that you and your mom know that aqua regia isn't trivial stuff to play around with. Are you really 11?

Your best bet is to just hold on to that paint for now. You might find a use for it, or you might be able to save enough gold bearing scrap to make a profit. Though I am new to this forum, the advice I offer now is this: do LOTS of research on aqua regia before you ever try it. It is a dangerous process that is not to be trifled with. It involves caustic chemicalsnand toxic fumes. Caution and care are highly advised here.

Edited by Troymoore4

Your best bet is to just hold on to that paint for now. You might find a use for it, or you might be able to save enough gold bearing scrap to make a profit. Though I am new to this forum, the advice I offer now is this: do LOTS of research on aqua regia before you ever try it. It is a dangerous process that is not to be trifled with. It involves caustic chemicalsnand toxic fumes. Caution and care are highly advised here.

Yes aqua regia (and sodium hydroxide solution) scares the heck out of me. Definately not something im going to try any time soon.

If you want to get the gold out, simply add more water to dilute the binder, the gold will then fall the bottom of the container and you can simply pour off the water.

BTW there isn't a lot of gold in the paint. It is VERY thin foil, hence it is easily suspended in the paint. I'm afraid you aren't going to get rich.

I hope that you and your mom know that aqua regia isn't trivial stuff to play around with. Are you really 11?

Yes I just want a very small sample of gold (for my element collection, maybe). Im not trying to get rich by no means. I think that has actually already happened no additional water needed. I thought if i used aqua regia it could purify the gold (even though it was 24K). I think ill pour out the mixture, and wash with water to get the gold of the bottom. Then ill put it in a glass container and decant the fluid (and keep washing) then boil it to dry the gold. Aqua regia is no chemical to mess around with. And yes, I am truly 11, well ill be 12 on Sunday