Fruits and vegetables plantation

Sensei

Red Pepper Plantation, 309 plants at once. I moved them from old container (it was permanently dry) to seedling trays.

post-100882-0-13924900-1457523426_thumb.png

There is more of them (331 so far), but didn't manage to get on board of seedling trays.. :)

Red Pepper Plantation, 309 plants at once. I moved them from old container (it was permanently dry) to seedling trays.

There is more of them (331 so far), but didn't manage to get on board of seedling trays.. :)

Nice! Are you going to go Peter Piper and pickle your peppers? Dehydrating is a good preservation choice as well. If you don't have a dehydrator you can Sun dry the peppers or dry them in an oven.

Another of my native plant propagation projects this year is Common Camas - Camassia quamash. This one is indeed a vegetable crop, though I have never eaten it. This is my first time growing them from seed, and I planted them in Fall in a rectangular pot using a mix of native soil and potting soil. I left them outside to take advantage of the normal freeze cycle and light cycle.

From Wiki: Camassia quamash

Camassia quamash, commonly known as camas, small camas,[1] common camas,[2] common camash[3] or quamash, is a perennial herb. It is one species of the genus Camassia and is native to western North America in large areas of southern Canada and the northwestern United States, from British Columbia and Alberta to California and east from Washington state to Montana and Wyoming.

Food use

The fruits of C. quamash

While the bulbs of Camassia species are edible and nutritious, the white-flowered meadow death-camas (which is not in Camassia, but part of the genus Toxicoscordion that grows in the same areas) is toxic, and the bulbs are difficult to distinguish.[13][14]

Camas has been a food source for many native peoples in the western United States and Canada. After being harvested in the autumn, once the flowers have withered, the bulbs are pit-roasted or boiled. A pit-cooked camas bulb looks and tastes something like baked sweet potato, but sweeter, and with more crystalline fibers due to the presence of inulin in the bulbs. People have also dried the bulbs to then be pounded into flour.[15] Native American tribes who ate camas include the Nez Perce, Cree, Coast Salish, Lummi, and Blackfoot tribes, among many others. Camas bulbs contributed to the survival of members of the expedition of Lewis and Clark (180406).

In spite of the warning about Death Camas there @ Wiki, Native Americans knew exactly which bulb they were digging and eating. They also regularly burned off prairies to get rid of woody plants and keep the prairie open. So important a food source was this plant that Native Americans even battled over possession of prairies.

Common Camas - Camassia quamash

Seedlings:

25024745074_8810e1fe06_z.jpg

Flowers:

13383282225_d25fc6673b_z.jpg

Seeds:

15529338350_ebe5d2e95f_z.jpg