biosafety cabinet to pour agar into plates

Hi all,

I am aware of the difference between a laminar flow hood and a biosafety cabinet and I am using these days the first one to pour agar into my plates. Even so, the laminar hood is always busy this period and I was wondering if in your opinion I can use also the biosafety cabinet for this activity.

Thank you very much,

Silvia

A biosafety cabinet is a laminar flow hood. But not all hoods with laminar flow are biosafety benches. In biosafety benches the flow is straight from top through the filter down on the bench (and then to the back). As a result it creates a barrier that reduces the contact of the user with aerosols. However, it does little to protect samples, except by avoiding turbulence. A horizontal laminar flow bench pushes air from the back to the front. Due to the horizontal flow it protects the sample as it blows things away from it. But it would blow things toward the user which makes it unsuitable for dangerous chemicals and biohazard. Then there are variations with different levels of filters, how much they recirculate etc.

So the first thing you need to do is get proper safety instructions in all the cabinets you have in your lab. By understanding the differences you can make the correct choice.