Is it possible...?

Guest hatakemax

Guest hatakemax

hey everyone i have a question to ask. i have two computers at home; an hp laptop(runnning XP) and a compaq pentium 3 comp(running windows 98). i have some networking cable at home and i've been trying to set up a network by connecting the two pc's with just the networking cable and no router or hub or whatever. I have not been successful so far and im not even sure if thats even possible. :confused:

Well ild appreciate any info you guys can provide on this problem im having. thanks

Guest hatakemax

ok crossover cable ill lookin into it. see if i can get me some of that. sorry bout the bad thread, i really didnt know what to put there :(

i dont really want them both to have internet access. i just want them to be able to share files and the printer and stuff. i have them both in my room and it gets kindof tiring whne i have to burn songs and programs on cds and diskettes to share on each of them.

easiest is probably a hub. im guessing your main one is on the internet, if you want it to stay that way you need to either get some kind of hub/router/switch, or get a second network card, or be prepared to switch cables everytime you want to share files. if im wrong and its not on the net then no worries, crossover is all you need.

I made a network crossover cable once to be able to play games with a friend using Two computers.

Simply cut the cable somewhere on the middle and then reconnect the wires, by soldering and isolate, using a connection box or what suites You.

The connections needs to be transparent so it's possible to see which color which wire has, and also from which way the wires are numbered.

Connection table, (for my crossover cable):

1 - 3

2 - 6

3 - 1

4 - 4

5 - 5

6 - 2

7 - 7

8 - 8

its always the same, you can find diagrams online. you only actually use 4 of the wires, orange and green i believe. ill see if i can find the chart.

http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

orange and green are send and recieve. the others are unused. for the crossover cable you would attach orange/white to green/white and orange to green.

I made a network crossover cable once to be able to play games with a friend using Two computers.

Simply cut the cable somewhere on the middle and then reconnect the wires' date=' by soldering and isolate, using a connection box or what suites You.[/quote']

LOL, that's certainly one way to do it. (if you don't have the crimper and RJ45 head to redo the end of the wire)

I like it. :D

Guest MachineBytes

I do not know if you have been able to get your computers networked together or not, but if you have not, one thing to consider is that on Windows 98 machine, in order for networking to work correctly, several protocols must be installed. The main three are TCP/IP...NetBeui...and the IPX/SPX protocols. Also make sure the 'Client for Microsoft Networks is installed. You may need your Windows 98 disk to install these by the way. Good Luck