Does the chromosones in a cell play a role in the context of a skin itch ?

Hello can anyone tell me do the chromosones or nucleolus play a role in the context of an itch ? Do the chromosones produce any complex molecules which triggers the activty of the neuron cells ? And then there is a reversal process which stops the itch ? Do the chromosones or nucleolus play any role whatsover ?

Thanks

Not the way I suspect you may think about it. Let's forget about itch for the moment. It is easier to think in terms of a sensory neuron that sense a signal. What is genetically controlled are presence of proteins, including receptors (to sense chemicals for example) and ion channels (to create the action potential). However, it is in a way a tautology, if those and other proteins were not present, it would not be a sensory neuron (actually it is a bit more complicated, but that would be somewhat advanced).

Cells generally have a very dynamic protein turnover, meaning that proteins are getting produced and removed constantly. Thus, for a sensory neuron to perceive anything (itch, pain whatever) it requires active gene expression and protein production. So in that context it would be a yes, but quite a meaningless ones as it just means that in order to function the cell needs a functional nucleus (as opposed to simpler red blood cells, for example). There are some situations (including long-term potentiation) where altered gene expression does play a specific role, but I think that is actually quite a more advanced concept and goes beyond your question.

Not the way I suspect you may think about it. Let's forget about itch for the moment. It is easier to think in terms of a sensory neuron that sense a signal. What is genetically controlled are presence of proteins, including receptors (to sense chemicals for example) and ion channels (to create the action potential). However, it is in a way a tautology, if those and other proteins were not present, it would not be a sensory neuron (actually it is a bit more complicated, but that would be somewhat advanced).

Cells generally have a very dynamic protein turnover, meaning that proteins are getting produced and removed constantly. Thus, for a sensory neuron to perceive anything (itch, pain whatever) it requires active gene expression and protein production. So in that context it would be a yes, but quite a meaningless ones as it just means that in order to function the cell needs a functional nucleus (as opposed to simpler red blood cells, for example). There are some situations (including long-term potentiation) where altered gene expression does play a specific role, but I think that is actually quite a more advanced concept and goes beyond your question.

Hello Charon. Please accept my apologies but I would like to ask still keeping with an itch as an example. I did some Google(ing) and found some articles which talks about itches and how they work: I've quoted one of the many articles here: It appears that there is a chemical reaction which takes place and triggers the itch....

http://science.time.com/2013/05/23/solved-the-mystery-of-the-maddening-itch/

"At least part of that mystery has now been solved by scientists at one of the less celebrated units of the National Institutes of Health. Writing in Science, molecular biologists working at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research report that a molecule known as neuropeptide natriuretic polypeptide b (Nppb) that is released by nerve cells far from the actual itch site triggers an electrochemical cascade that ultimately tells the brain it’s time to get scratching."

A neurotransmitter is what a neuron releases to create signal in the neurons it is connected to. This process is universal but there are many forms of neurotransmitters as well as specific receptors to which they bind. You have similar pathways for other nociception pathways. What I am suggesting is that you read up on the principles of the transfer of neuronal information as it will help you understand the process better than looking for one specific subset. That is only if you are interested in the biology of it, of course.

Edited by CharonY

• 1 month later...

Itch is caused by vasoactive amine release like histamine, this causes nerve stimulation and give rise to the itchy sensation as well as whealing and other allergic changes.

This process can be regulated at the genetic, epigenetic, and the chromosomal level (and pharmacoligically actually) by coding for both histamine release and the receptor and signal transduction efficacy.

Eosinophilic histaminase is designed to stop this reaction.