Light as a Gauge Boson.

JohnSSM

As a human, its easy to just think of light as the thing that allows us to see. So, Ive been trying to "see" light without this bias to be just another gauge boson. And suddenly, gluons and W/Z bosons seem to make good sense and light or photons are really confusing me. I guess Im confused about the quantum purpose of photons. The gluon interacts between particles and "guides" their QCD, W/Z bosons interact and guide QFD which allows for radiation, and isnt this radiation by QFD which spawns every photon in the first place?

If light is the gauge boson for the EMF, why cant I charge a magnet with light? I know these questions sound crazy but that is because I have kinda lost my common understanding for what light really is. How does light, or how do photons interact and "guide" electromagnetism?

When I first heard the term gauge boson, I figured that these bosons were used to measure, or at least, communicate information about their source to another source, where it then influences that source. Its easily understood for gluons and the WZ bosons, and if they found the graviton, it would make sense there too. But how is light interacting and guiding the EMF for which it is a gauge? I know that light can tell humans all sorts of things, but what does it say to quantum particles involved in the EMF?

W/Z bosons interact and guide QFD which allows for radiation, and isnt this radiation by QFD which spawns every photon in the first place?

Bosons W+, W- are Weak Force Bosons. Radioactive beta decay plus, beta decay minus, double beta decay plus, double beta decay minus.

If light is the gauge boson for the EMF, why cant I charge a magnet with light?

You can do reverse: rotate polarization of photons while passing through medium to which there has been applied external magnetic field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

Also read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto-optic_Kerr_effect

Edited by Sensei