what is existence?

travism21

one single eternal moment that contains inifinite possibilites? could the atom itself represent this? the nucleus standing for the moment and the electron representing the infinite possibilities?

one single eternal moment that contains inifinite possibilites? could the atom itself represent this? the nucleus standing for the moment and the electron representing the infinite possibilities?

anyone?

Edited by travism21

This is really a philosophical question. Physics answers to this question will be quite pragmatic. Something exists if you can measure its properties. I think that is about all one can really say.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really a philosophical question. Physics answers to this question will be quite pragmatic. Something exists if you can measure its properties. I think that is about all one can really say.

It exists in the material Universe, it has mass, wavelength, etc. The irony of THAT is we have to use wholly imaginary units in order to perform such measurements. Meters, seconds, kilograms, etc. Then COUNT how many such units using numbers, less arbitrary but no less immaterial.

And while what we see in the material Universe inevitably rots and disintegrates, even at the scale of stars and galaxies, numbers in their serene immutable beauty continue forever outside time itself. Time, an abstraction itself as well- to the realm of number the life of the mayfly and the life of the galaxy are equally transitory.

Does pi "exist" then, or do you?

Stupid joke: M. Descartes is sitting in a café one day, thinking deep thoughts as usual. The waiter asks, "Would monsieur care for another glass of wine?" Descartes replies, "I think not." Then he vanishes.

Does pi "exist" then, or do you?

I interact with other objects in the Universe and so have properties that can be measured. I think I exists in any meaningful definition of the word. The number pi does not exists in the same sense, but it of course exists in the mathematical sense.