Problem With My HP EliteBook 8440 Battery

AmirShahzad.PK

It came with 6 cell battery. Battery was giving backup of maximum 2 hours. It worked fine for me until I was charging followed by fully discharging when I started always plugging and only discharging one time per day. Battery reduced backup time so much that I have to purchase new one. I wanted to purchase 12 cell battery but only 9 cell was available for this model so I went with that. I purchased in March 2015. When brought home, battery was working fine and giving backup of 3+ hours but battery used to show problem of "Caliberate" after some time and my fully discharging solved it but now this problem is not being solved. Please see recently checked status of the battery and battery backup is now not more than an hour. I have been fully charging followed by fully discharging this battery.

Possible reasons I believe are:

1) The battery has some problem from the start as it used to show caliberate issue often.

2) I am using modified sine wave inverter at home and that voltage might be damaging laptop battery.

Also posted it on Hp forum but so far got no reply

This is what I understand about Li-Ion batteries and I do with mine. I get 6-7 hours and got it last December.

A battery has a maximum number of charges; about 300-400. I leave mine on mains adapter all the time*, and run it on battery, down to the low-battery warning only about once a month. Never discharge a battery until it's absolutely flat. Charging to 100% and then running it flat will kill it in months. The ideal % range to to be charging and discharging is 80% down to 20% before recharging again... if you have to.

Get some kind of low tilted stand that you can put the laptop on to put more air-space under it so it doesn't get too hot...heat hurts batteries.

This link will take to The Battery University website, which is great for learning about them. Have a look around it.

*Leaving the adapter in all the time will not kill the battery because it will switch charging off once it is full.

Note: If you use a hard-drive data cleaner, like Ccleaner, it will wipe out all the logs, causing repeat messages about calibrating etc.

Edited by StringJunky

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I understand about Li-Ion batteries and I do with mine. I get 6-7 hours and got it last December.

A battery has a maximum number of charges; about 300-400. I leave mine on mains adapter all the time*, and run it on battery, down to the low-battery warning only about once a month. Never discharge a battery until it's absolutely flat. Charging to 100% and then running it flat will kill it in months. The ideal % range to to be charging and discharging is 80% down to 20% before recharging again... if you have to.

Get some kind of low tilted stand that you can put the laptop on to put more air-space under it so it doesn't get too hot...heat hurts batteries.

This link will take to The Battery University website, which is great for learning about them. Have a look around it.

What do you mean by a flat battery? But how do I know that battery is charged up to 80% now and discharged to 20% now? It is hard to keep such care. My windows system do not give any notification when battery is fully charged but I can know from laptop led indicator but it gives notification when battery is discharged to 10%.

Yes, I also believe the same. The reason of my battery being killed is of heat because it`s summer here. Now I started using cooler pad with my laptop by connecting USB cable in to it. Although it make laptop heavy and uncomfortable to taken in lap but I am doing it for summer and might not do same in winter. I already have sent my 9 cell battery in warranty and currently running old 6 cell came with laptop. You might be surprised but I purchased this laptop (used) in October 2014 and it came with 6 cell battery. Battery was providing me with 2 hours backup until I was fully charging followed by fully discharging but when I started keeping it plugged all the time then battery started losing capacity and now it doesn't even give a backup of 20 minutes even. Even laptop bios give a notification of replacing battery.

Yes I have visited this website before purchasing laptop and not able to reach on some conclusion. Still confused, how should we use batteries? I talked to hp support personell and they too recommended me fully charging followed by discharging but they recommended me not to use modified sine wave Uninterrupted power supply unit but unfortunately I have this type of unit at my home.

*Leaving the adapter in all the time will not kill the battery because it will switch charging off once it is full.

This is what a new and old laptop seller and repair person of my city told me but still not sure what is reality.

Note: If you use a hard-drive data cleaner, like Ccleaner, it will wipe out all the logs, causing repeat messages about calibrating etc.

No I didn't use it on this version of windows. Also, battery low time along with calibrating messages guarantees fault.