Help finding equivalent resistance for BJT circuit

CasualKilla

I would like some help understanding how to find the equivalent resistance of the circuit as shown in the included figure.

I also want to clarify another thing; when finding the input resistance for the section, do we completely ignore the other side (RHS) of the circuit? The reason I ask this, is that normally I solve for Vx and Ix at the Req point and then Req = Vx/Ix; in this case it is not possible to solve for Vx without using the RHS of the circuit.

post-85772-0-13242400-1432505117_thumb.png

Edited by CasualKilla

I assume you are looking for a Thevenin equivalent?

Does this help?

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312/handouts/Example%20An%20Analysis%20of%20a%20pnp%20BJT%20Circuit.pdf

I think you are right, perhaps it is a Thevenin equivalent, if not, it is closely related, but what I need to do is pretty much need to replace the LHS of the circuit with a single resistor. I normally don't have any problems with these, but this particular example is giving me issues.

final result should look like this:

post-85772-0-17899900-1432510655.png

Not a single resistor you have a controlled current source on the LHS.

Thevenin would replace it with a voltage source in series with a resistor.

Norton would 'replace' it with a current source in parallel. Except you already have one.

Look up source transformation.

Edited by studiot

I appreciate you trying to point me in the right direction, but I understand the theory quite well, I have done probably 100's of similar problems, but I am just having trouble with this particular circuit, so I would appreciate some help tackling this particular problem.

Here is an example of how I normally solve these problems.

post-85772-0-82843800-1432516011_thumb.png

To give some context to why I need to do this, there is normally an capacitance in the circuit, so we need the equivalent resistance the capacitor experiences to find the time constant.

post-85772-0-33117500-1432516650_thumb.png

Edited by CasualKilla