What is recessus pubicus?

I'm working on some medical entries for a dictionary and I'm stuck on something called ischoanal fossa and another thing called pubic recess of ischoanal fossa (recessus pubicus in latin). It would be absolutely awesome if someone could post a diagram/picture/etc with this pubic recess marked. Its supposed to be a frontal part of the fossa but I just can't find it anywhere. I also can't find anything about its function.

the ischioanal fossa is a fat filled gap beside the anal canal and underneath the pelvic diphragm.

Gotta check those spelling in a medical dictionary - hang on though aren't you ...

I would assume that the pubic recess is the one also known as the anterior recess - as the inferior ramus of the pubic bone is up and to the front of the fossa.

Thank you, but the pubic recess is the puzzle here, not the fossa. I can't get my hands on any medical dictionary or anatomy books - i just got a term I need to translate and provide a good definition for. Sometimes I come across terms that are taken from old Polish books and seem exclusive to Polish language, that's why I have to be really 100% sure that what I've found in English is a good translation. That's why pictures really help, especially with anatomy, I just compare them and it all becomes clear :)

Ok, I'm still confused, but I think we're getting closer. The recess I'm looking for is supposed to be placed between the pelvic diaphragm and the deep perineal pouch, so does this anterior recess (1a) meet the requirements? As far as I know, UGD is a part of the deep perineal pouch, but I'm not sure what the body of the pubis means (is it pubis bone? is it below the pelvic diaphragm?). Oh, and this anococcygeal ligament is not what I'm looking for, I'm sure of that.

Edited by The Dragon Toad

Toad - what anatomical or medical training do you have? And do you think it qualifies you to be writing entries for a dictionary of Medicine?

The pouch is the space between the perineal membrane and the pelvic diaphragm. It contains several muscle/fascia groupings - one of these can be /used to be called the urogenital diaphragm

On the lower picture the bits coloured tan at each side are a section of the inferior ramus of the pubis bone.

You seem to be conflating terms willy-nilly - fossa are spaces, ligaments are strong connective tissue, pouches are more spaces - this time normally mechanically constrained by fascia rather than merely a space that an anatomist noticed etc.

I have no medical training, I'm just a translator. I wouldn't be qualified for writing entries for a dictionary of Medicine and it is not my job. My job is to find an English counterpart of a Polish term I've been given in order to merge two giant dictionaries - usually it doesn't pose any problems, but with this entry I've been struggling for quite a while. Even in my native language such advanced anatomy is confusing to me, since I have to learn everything from the scratch - that's why I'm confusing terms and that's why I'm here asking silly questions. If I won't find anything satisfying, I just won't add anything, but I have to be sure first.

I've found a book containing this term, maybe this will help:

https://books.google.pl/books?id=CpFUBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=recessus+pubicus&source=bl&ots=1Uq-owtUqQ&sig=YHgDDw3iZX0nd--Ra2RTmRG1X38&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=3Br3VM-iKMmqU5i4gegN&ved=0CE8Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=recessus%20pubicus&f=false

"The ischoanal fossa forms an anterior recess which extends between the superior fascia of the urogenital diaphragm and the interior fascia of the pelvic diaphragm to the pubis (recessus pubicus)".

"Between the superior fascia of the urogenital diaphragm and the inferior fascia of the pelvic diaphragm is the pubic recess of the ischioanal fossa, going alongside the obturator fascia to the pubis, containing some fat with fibrous bands."

246jn03.jpg

so here it is, have you ever come across something like that?

• 2 weeks later...