Honors Gen Chem II- Kinetics

unconstrained1

So basically I've been out sick for the past week and have no idea what is going on in my Honors Gen Chem II class. :/ I have a basic understanding of kinetics, but the class moves so fast that I feel I am very behind from missing two periods. The questions seem straightforward enough that they can be solved with the information I have provided; however, I am completely lost.

http://njit2.mrooms.net/file.php/4799/Images_Chem_126_RH_/Z15-31.gif

I just have a few questions, based off of the above image link:

1.The reaction below was studied by performing two experiments. NO(g) + O3(g) → NO2(g) + O2(g) In the first experiment (results shown in left table) the rate of disappearance of NO was followed in a large excess of O3. (The [O3] remains effectively constant at 1.0x1014 molecules/cm3.) In the second experiment [NO] was held constant at 2.0x1014 molecules/cm3. The data for the disappearance of O3 are in the right table.

The rate of reaction is given by Rate = k[NO]x[O3]y Determine x and y.

2.What is the value of the rate constant obtained from each set of experiments? For the first, Rate = k'[NO]x. What is k' (in s-1)?

3.For the second, Rate = k"[O3]y; what is k" (in s-1)? What is the value of the rate constant for the overall rate law?

4.Rate = k[NO]x[O3]y. What is k (in cm3 molecules-1 s-1)?

And finally, 5. The decomposition of NO2(g) occurs by the following bimolecular elementary reaction.

2NO2(g) → 2NO(g) + O2(g)

The rate constant at 273 K is 2.3 x 10-12 L mol-1 s-1, and the activation energy is 111 kJ/mol. How long will it take (in s) for the concentration of NO2(g) to decrease from an initial partial pressure of 2.50 atm to 2.00 atm at 486 K? Assume ideal gas behavior.

Thank you very much for any hints! Any help is appreciated.

post-110745-0-24300400-1423978772.gif

Hello unconstrained and welcome.

I hope your recovery is going well.

Since I am not a member of the New Jersey Institute of Technology I cannot use the link, but I assume the attached images are the same.

We do not complete homework for you but here is a start.

Since you have missed some lectures please ask if there is anything you need explaining in more detail.

Your rate equation is

[math]Rate = k{\left[ {NO} \right]^x}{\left[ {{O_3}} \right]^y}[/math]

Do you understand this?

Take logs (base 10 or natural)

[math]\log (rate) = x\log \left[ {NO} \right] + C[/math]

Where we are told that the concentration of Ozone is constant so the only variable is the concentration of Nitric Oxide.

Can you see this?

Log(k) is also a constant so I have incorporated both these into the constant C

[math]C = cons\tan t = \log (k) + y\log \left[ {{O_3}} \right][/math]