Riddle Me This...

Harold Squared

http://insights.globalspec.com/article/430/swiss-nuclear-power-plant-retrofit-for-hydrogen-control

While I am certainly not opposed in any way to nuclear safety, I am puzzled by the responses of the Swiss to the Fukushima incident. To begin with, the proximate cause of the notorious meltdown was the drowning of the auxiliary cooling system's diesel engines by the tsunami. Fukushima was the only such installation affected by said tsunami, the others have been restored to service, and the historical record of tsunamis affecting Switzerland is nil, leading one to conclude that the threat of such Alpine tsunamis is remote.

http://insights.globalspec.com/article/430/swiss-nuclear-power-plant-retrofit-for-hydrogen-control

While I am certainly not opposed in any way to nuclear safety, I am puzzled by the responses of the Swiss to the Fukushima incident. To begin with, the proximate cause of the notorious meltdown was the drowning of the auxiliary cooling system's diesel engines by the tsunami. Fukushima was the only such installation affected by said tsunami, the others have been restored to service, and the historical record of tsunamis affecting Switzerland is nil, leading one to conclude that the threat of such Alpine tsunamis is remote.

The message I get from that article is the Swiss government is just looking for any reason to abandon nuclear power; extremely remote negative scenarios are sufficient 'justification'. Maybe they envisage all their snow melting instantaneously somehow. ;)

Edited by StringJunky

Agreed, it is reasonable to assume avalanche risks were considered during the site selection process before ground was ever broken. The potential threat of glaciers should be negligible even when the climate changes for the colder, as it most inevitably will, you can spot a glacier coming from quite a long way off.

Edited by Harold Squared

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.