Co-depdency is positive from an evolutionary stand point

Loyalty is an important thing. It means that your friend/family/coworker has your back and wont throw you under the bus for any little thing. Now there is something on the other end of the spectrum which is known as Narcissistic personality disorder which his characterized by doing stuff like abusing others to make yourself look good. No one wants to be around someone who does this stuff since they are terrible people. People who are codependent need another person to cling to in order to mentally well. However traits which a codependent are suppose to have are really very selfless. Now disloyalty is not GOOD since trust is what creates bonds. From an evolutionary stand point isnt it actually a good thing? At what point is caring about others considered unhealthy? and when is it just being responsible? If humans have evolved to be social wouldn't being codependent work to an advantage? Thier is a third result which is stuff like completely avoiding people such as Aviodent personality disorder.

Edited by Marshalscienceguy

Loyalty is an important thing. It means that your friend/family/coworker has your back and wont throw you under the bus for any little thing. Now there is something on the other end of the spectrum which is known as Narcissistic personality disorder which his characterized by doing stuff like abusing others to make yourself look good. No one wants to be around someone who does this stuff since they are terrible people. People who are codependent need another person to cling to in order to mentally well. However traits which a codependent are suppose to have are really very selfless. Now disloyalty is not GOOD since trust is what creates bonds. From an evolutionary stand point isnt it actually a good thing? At what point is caring about others considered unhealthy? and when is it just being responsible? If humans have evolved to be social wouldn't being codependent work to an advantage? Thier is a third result which is stuff like completely avoiding people such as Aviodent personality disorder.

I've deleted two sentences in your post.

As written you are asking "isn't disloyalty a good thing". I think you mean isn't codependence a good thing?

The last sentence has no bearing on the central question and simply confuses the post.

So, at what point is caring for others considered unhealthy? Answer: it is almost entirely context driven, where context includes cultural, religious, political, family and personal aspects. The range of acceptable, or troubling behaviour is wide. I am sure some patterns would be though extreme in almost any milieu, but most could be debated.

The evolutionary basis of altruism/co-operation is explored through game theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory

You're basically describing a game theory model known as the prisoner's dilemma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

The payoff for co-operative or defective behavior is dependent on the actions of others. Therefore, the probabilistic advantage of behaving selfishly or altruistically is determined by how others behave, and how well you can predict or know how they will behave.

MSG, you are missing the cost of a co-dependent relationship. There us a cycling power dynamic between the two parties, often an antisocial or narcissistic personality, and a borderline, histrionic, or dependent personality. We tend to think that one side is dominant, and the other side submissive, but the dominance alternatedps between one side being called out for behaving badly, being expected to suck up, but once sucking up for a while, resentment for not being appreciated builds, and a new cycle of misbehaviour starts. Because the person who is perceived to have lower power enjoys being sucked up to, they push the other individual to misbehave, often in ways they are not aware of, such as jealousy, testing, putting the other in a double bind, stepping out because the other isn't meeting their needs, etc. they feel it's completely normal and justified.

I've deleted two sentences in your post.

As written you are asking "isn't disloyalty a good thing". I think you mean isn't codependence a good thing?

The last sentence has no bearing on the central question and simply confuses the post.

So, at what point is caring for others considered unhealthy? Answer: it is almost entirely context driven, where context includes cultural, religious, political, family and personal aspects. The range of acceptable, or troubling behaviour is wide. I am sure some patterns would be though extreme in almost any milieu, but most could be debated.

I stated disloyalty is not a good thing.