What is Omentin-1?

Gen1GT

Omentin-1 appears to be an Adipokine (adipose cytokine) that can also be called inelectin-1 (ITLN1). It seems to be a very popular molecule right now in obesity/diabetes research (couple hundred hits on Pubmed [omentin-1 + diabetes]).

Some research seems to suggest that its levels are down in the blood of obese patients or patients with diabetes

Changes of serum omentin-1 levels in normal subjects, type 2 diabetes and type 2 diabetes with overweight and obesity in Chinese adults. CONCLUSION:

Decreased omentin-1 levels may contribute to the development of insulin resistance, T2DM and particularly to obesity in Chinese adults, however, its role in these diseases needs to be fully elucidated.

Low omentin-1 levels are related with clinical and metabolic parameters in obese children.

Our data indicates that serum omentin 1 levels are i) lower in obese children and ii) negatively correlated with BMI, WC, HOMA-IR and insulin levels suggesting that omentin 1 might be a biomarker for metabolic dysfunction also in childhood and adolescence.

It also seems to have a cardioprotective effect and may be beneficial in type 2 diabetes

Cardioprotective Properties of Omentin-1 in Type 2 Diabetes: Evidence from Clinical and In Vitro Studies

These data identify omentin-1 as a cardioprotective adipokine, and indicate that decreases in omentin-1 levels could contribute to the induction of cardiovascular dysfunction in DM2 (Type II diabetes).

This review give a good overview of the anti-inflammatory effects of omentin-1 and other adipokines (Role of anti-inflammatory adipokines in obesity-related diseases). Briefly, they indicate that omentin-1 is abundantly expressed in the visceral fat and is detectable circulating in the blood. Some work has shown that omentin-1 stimulates glucose uptake in cultured adipose cells. It may also enhance dilation of the blood vessels through the production of endothelial NO. Omentins anti-inflammatory effects seem to be through the suppression of immune cell adhesion to the endothelial walls.

Seems like this protein holds some promise in finding a way to treat diabetes and obesity. Don't know if this answered your question. The literature out there is still fairly new.

Well, there is a lot of information on it, is there anything particular you are interested in? Essentially it is a protein that belongs to the family of cytokines that are typically involved in cell signaling. Omentin-1 is, to my knowledge, secreted by adipose (fat) tissue.

edit: crossposted.

Edited by CharonY

Well, I am trying to find some research on Leptin and how it correlates with weight-loss/weight-gain. Specifically, and I doubt this research exists, I am curious how much leptin drops during caloric deficit, and how much leptin increases during caloric surplus in those same patients.

Some of the studies showed relationships between leptin and omentin-1, but I don't know what omentin-1 is.

Dislayers, thanks for the references. It appears from your links that it's a signalling protein.