Lead Acid battery powered torch

Delbert

As far as I'm aware lead acid batteries have to be maintained in an upright position. Well, perhaps I'm wrong because upon disassembling my large recently expired rechargeable torch, I discovered its battery mounted on its side. Which I'd have thought not conducive to the liquid being able to cover the cells. I might add that the torch is not very old (it wasn't cheap either), and my thinking is its premature death is because of the battery mounting.

Has anyone any thoughts?

I don't know what make of torch yours was but I used to use Clulites for years on site. Mine were the big bulky sort that definitely were designed to run upright, but Cluson offer a range of rechargeables some of which look as though they have batteries on their sides.

Some lead acid batteries are completely sealed and the electrolyte is contained in gel form so they should be able to run in any orientation.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&source=hp&q=clulite&gbv=2&oq=clulite&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.0.0l10.1921.3812.0.8000.7.5.0.2.2.0.187.609.2j3.5.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.7.671.fmfIJouWjSA

Thanks for the info. As you say the electrolyte is probably in gel form. The torch is only about a year old, but clearly the battery has failed. Perhaps the battery was on the shelf for sometime before it ended up in the torch!

I would've thought in today's world a lithium-ion battery would be a far better option for such a torch. Especially as I understand that it's not a good idea to fully - or even half - discharge lead-acid batteries, on account of lead exchange. Lithium-ion batteries seem to work superbly in my lawnmower, grass strimmer and not to mention portable computer devices.

I would've thought in today's world a lithium-ion battery would be a far better option for such a torch. Especially as I understand that it's not a good idea to fully - or even half - discharge lead-acid batteries, on account of lead exchange. Lithium-ion batteries seem to work superbly in my lawnmower, grass strimmer and not to mention portable computer devices.

You can safely discharge deep-cell lead-acid batteries down to ~ 20%. Maybe you can put a suitable lithium-ion battery in as a replacement; check with the manufacturer.

Maybe you can put a suitable lithium-ion battery in as a replacement; check with the manufacturer.

I don't think that's possible, if, for no other reason than the charging electronics will almost certainly be unsuitable for a lithium-ion replacement battery.

Suppose it'll have to be yet another new torch. I say another because this is the second. And what's more, the first was a cheapo (£10) and lasted far longer than the above expensive one with a sideways battery!

I don't think that's possible, if, for no other reason than the charging electronics will almost certainly be unsuitable for a lithium-ion replacement battery.

Good point. :doh:

Suppose it'll have to be yet another new torch. I say another because this is the second. And what's more, the first was a cheapo (£10) and lasted far longer than the above expensive one with a sideways battery!

Try contacting the manufacturer of the torch that just died and try and get some satisfaction before buying a new one. Plead, complain, or otherwise act as may fix you up without laying out more scratch. :)

Try contacting the manufacturer of the torch that just died and try and get some satisfaction before buying a new one. Plead, complain, or otherwise act as may fix you up without laying out more scratch. :)

Yes, I agree.

And in addition to what I've conveyed above, the sideways battery was retained in place within the torch body by a piece of plastic foam stuffed inside! Perhaps I could be forgiven for thinking the torch had been designed - or rather, put together - from available bits that happen to be on a shelf!

Anyway, being me I'll doubtless just go and buy a new one.