nano particles finding specific body cells

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140625201934.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29

"With the continuing need for very small devices in therapeutic applications, there is a growing demand for the development of nanoparticles that can transport and deliver drugs to target cells in the human body."

I have been reading several articles about scientists zeroing in on specifically-selected cells to deliver medicines to particular sites, the aim being to treat only the area that needs treating (specific cancer cells) without spreading the medicine all through the body.

I have a question. I think nanoparticles are invisible to the human eye. I am not sure but I think so are body cells. Even if not, they are terribly small. So, how are scientists able to locate just the cell/cells they want to target and instill medicine into those cells? One article (maybe being fanciful but maybe not) spoke of picking up a single cell with a tiny pair of tweezers. The same article was talking about doing something with the DNA.

Can someone give the facts on this. How much can actually be seen and how do you work with what you cannot see? Do we have microscopes strong enough now to actually look at individual body cells? My apologies if I am being vague but this is all new to me and I'm not sure what it means. Hopefully, someone here is familiar with this new research.

Thank you.

Cells are easily visible with light microscopes, however, nanoparticles are not. However, there are different means to detect them either using higher resolution techniques such as electron or atomic force microscopy or just extract them and identify and quantify the particles using other means (including mass spectrometry).

One thing of note is that the particles are not that specific, but the idea is to use coating or other methods so that they are preferentially taken up by the cells. The question then becomes whether this particles are enriched in the target cell types, which makes analyses easier. In many cases microscopic imaging is not as useful fro statistical analyses as one often has too few good images to actually count the particles. Instead there are other quantification methods and approaches that can be used. For example, for fluorescent particles the enrichment can be quantified by measuring the emitted light intensity.

Thank you, Charon. Much of that is over my head but I do get the general idea. Using spectrometry - meaning light waves? I'm putting that badly but scientists can identify unseen things by the light waves they give off. Right?

The cells can be seen? Meaning they can be studids more easily and then the nanoparticles created in a way to select the right cells? Of course that means first being able to select the right cells - the ones with the characteristics they need to work with.

So far, so good? Back to seeing the cells. When I had a basic course in botany, we examined leaves under microscope and saw the chloroplasts whirling around the leaves. Were/are those cells?

Another interesting field of study and so much advancement in it - in all fields, really - in the past 50 years or so.

Thanks again. I think I get the general idea.