Saw something hard to explain in the sky... What could it have been?

tdobney

Okay, so this is my first time posting and I am not sure if I am in the right place, but I've tried to figure out what the heck I saw yesterday, and can't find any logical explanation, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me!

So. I saw something very reflective and small really high up in the sky. At first, I thought maybe a plane, but then it realized there was no shape to it. Just a small dot. But then maybe thought that the sun was just hitting it weird, as it was quite sunny and clear. But then, after about 5 seconds of looking directly at it wondering what it was, right before my eyes it dimmed, and then disappeared all together. After looking in the sky again and again, I couldn't see anything. Like.. Ugh! What could this be?

Summary of the facts:

- Small reflective dot in the sky (Almost looked like a really bright star in the middle of the day)

- No distinctive colour - was silver or white. The colour of a bright star.

- High up like a plane

- Sunny day with no clouds/ just blue skies

- About 7pm

- Non-moving

- Dimmed and disappeared rather quickly.

- No sight of it afterwards or anything left behind

So can anyone think of a logical explanation of this? I am not against or for the whole UFO controversy, but it was immediately the first thing that hit my mind after I saw it. I would just like to know what it might have been a reflection of or what else it could have been.

Most likely a satellite. Satellies look like small moving stars, and tend to reflect sunlight depending on where the most reflective portion of the satellite is facing. While you were watching it, it may have rotated away from the sunlight making it invisible to the naked eye. Also if you saw in the middle of the day, all it would take is a slight reduction in reflection of sunlight to make it very hard to see, due to the ambient light in the day time.

-other explanations:

- balloon

-military drone

-no UFO

~ee

Red (maybe white) Helium balloon with 4 feet of white string attached to it with a ketchup stain on the string near the bottom.

I say this because if you've ever lost a balloon outside on a sunny day it vanishes the way you said, and popping out of view could be it vanishing from sight or literally popping out of existence.

Red balloons are also known to be spotted more frequently on clear sunny days then on rainy days.

Weather balloon was taken....

The best judge would be you. You know yourself. If you have no mental illnesses or are up on your meds then it probably was something explainable. Satellite answer seemed fun.

If it was a UFO sighting it sounds like a disappointing one. Many good (cough) ones on Youtube.

People should be quicker on the camera. A Youtube monetized video that gets a million hits gets you a free $4000, and you could go to disneyland.

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely a satellite. Satellies look like small moving stars, and tend to reflect sunlight depending on where the most reflective portion of the satellite is facing. While you were watching it, it may have rotated away from the sunlight making it invisible to the naked eye. Also if you saw in the middle of the day, all it would take is a slight reduction in reflection of sunlight to make it very hard to see, due to the ambient light in the day time.

-other explanations:

- balloon

-military drone

-no UFO

~ee

I've seen quite a few satellites and they are normally easy to see a at night time, or rather evening/early morning. Same goes for the ISS, although it might be possible to see it in the middle of the day, but still it wouldn't match the description of "looked like a really bright star in the middle of the day".

I think the best option would be to assume it was a weather balloon.

• 1 month later...