What Does Law Means? Fair? Unfair?

Nicholas Kang

So, you mean I should think of others as well? Ok, good advice and I will hear it. New lesson today. But, you know I am really "feel like bombing the school" when everytime I found out my mechanical correction tape just get stuck and I always have to fix it. Using mechanical objects is a thousand times troublesome compared to chemical correction liquid. Anyway, teachers in my school are allowed to use correction liquid.

Anyway, teachers in my school are allowed to use correction liquid.

But remember you are not equal to a teacher in the context of the school environment. Your parents probably do things they will not let you do. That is life and not being an adult.

Yes, I strongly agree. Totally no objections. Anyway, the school should understand that fixing mechanical correction tapes are not easy jobs. And no more further arguments. So, just have to follow school rules. I mean I just have to admit the fact that I should think of the school not only myself. But, you know maybe other students also face this problem but they just don`t want to say aloud.

Forgive me for the narrowly responsive post.

This way of punishment brings to me a lot of disadvantages.

What does law means? Fair? Unfair?

Fairness can depend on what is known by the person making the judgment, and also on what justifies the rule.

In this instance for example, your principal doesn't know that you won't use the correction fluid to vandalize, so it would be unfair for the principal to make an exception. If they made an exception, the other students would wonder why you are trusted more than they are.

However, if the staff were better at catching the vandals, then the principal shouldn't be suspicious of someone who was never caught vandalizing. Since vandalism prevention is what justifies the rule, they could not justify applying that rule to someone who doesn't vandalize. Hence the knowledge of who has vandalized changes what's fair.

There could be other loopholes. For example, if you found a correction fluid that couldn't be used to vandalize, they couldn't justify applying the rule to your correction fluid. In that case, it would be unfair not to make an exception.

edit replaced principle with principal

Edited by MonDie

So, you mean I should think of others as well? Ok, good advice and I will hear it. New lesson today. But, you know I am really "feel like bombing the school" when everytime I found out my mechanical correction tape just get stuck and I always have to fix it. Using mechanical objects is a thousand times troublesome compared to chemical correction liquid. Anyway, teachers in my school are allowed to use correction liquid.

I don't know how things are in Malaysia, but the kind of talk as in the underlined-bolded is enough to have a student be suspended or expelled from school here in the USA and certainly it's enough to get a visit from the police if they are notified and quite possibly get you arrested and jailed. Here you are talking about wanting fairness and thinking of others as good advice and yet you then go on to make a threat on people and property. Shame on you. I have half a notion toto report you to your school officials myself.

1. What is the reason given for the ban on tissues?

2. In regard to the correction fluid:

a) Stop making mistakes.

b) As I noted before, but you seemed to miss, I think the ban may be because of potential substance abuse: i.e. you can get high sniffing the organic solvent used in some correction fluids. And if you sniff to much you can die. Do you think it is fair to students to try to reduce the risk that they might die in school? If this is the reason, why not investigate the availability of water based correction fluids?

Not specifically on the subject of school rules but, as (assumably) a minor of your society, you would probably find that there are a wide variety of rules and laws that apply to you that do not apply to adults. For instance, in my hometown, there was (and still is, afaik) a curfew for anyone under the age of 18 (with exceptions for school events and work) unless they are accompanied by a guardian. Why? Because at some point, the town father's decided it was a good idea not to have bored teenagers out wandering the streets at 2 am. Is it necessarily fair? No, but it is the law, and fair or not, if you violate it, you suffer the consequences.

As I often tell my own children: "There are rules in this house. You don't have to like them, but you damned well better follow them."

@Nicholas

I do not know why I failed to mention this earlier. Life is not fair. You may not like that. I may not like that. But that is the way it is. Is it fair on a gazelle to eaten by a lion? Is it fair on a lion that a gazelle tries to starve a lion to death by running away?

So, if you expect things to be fair as you move through life you are in for some serious disappointments. It is worth reflecting on these words:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

Reinhold Neibuhr

I don't know how things are in Malaysia, but the kind of talk as in the underlined-bolded is enough to have a student be suspended or expelled from school here in the USA and certainly it's enough to get a visit from the police if they are notified and quite possibly get you arrested and jailed. Here you are talking about wanting fairness and thinking of others as good advice and yet you then go on to make a threat on people and property. Shame on you. I have half a notion toto report you to your school officials myself.

You know, I don`t mean to bomb my own school. That is just my own expression. I mean angry, very angry but not exceeding the limit, how can you say that I want.would bomb my own school. For your information, my current school is where I started to expose to Science, and is the reason why I am here, in the SFN. I really feel sad and upset and full of dissapointment with your reply. This might be just a case in which misunderstanding of words occurs. Maybe you don`t understand what I mean or I should reword my English. By the way, your reply is really upsetting. Shame on me? That is fine, as long as that I am still I. I won`t change because I know I won`t bomb my own school, no matter how angry I am.

You know, I don`t mean to bomb my own school. That is just my own expression. I mean angry, very angry but not exceeding the limit, how can you say that I want.would bomb my own school. For your information, my current school is where I started to expose to Science, and is the reason why I am here, in the SFN. I really feel sad and upset and full of dissapointment with your reply. This might be just a case in which misunderstanding of words occurs. Maybe you don`t understand what I mean or I should reword my English. By the way, your reply is really upsetting. Shame on me? That is fine, as long as that I am still I. I won`t change because I know I won`t bomb my own school, no matter how angry I am.

Yes - it may be just your own expression but those in authority have seriously denuded senses of humour. Here is a link to a BBC story on very similar lines - Eventually Paul Chambers was cleared but best not to take the risk. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19009344

This case opens up very interesting notions about the use of the courts - even when prosecutions are in the end unsuccessful - being used to chill free speech. But the take home message is that in our current climate of pugnacious fear where security concerns seem to trump all others it is best to bite your tongue sometimes unless you are ready for a rumble.

I meant the real physical bombing but that was just an expression and now I will be more careful whenever I post/reply a threat. I am not a bad student anyway.

Good on you. Lesson learned and on to the next thing life has to challenge you with.

• 2 years later...