Future as a scientist.

wanghankun

I want to be a scientist, yet I do not know what field I want to study. I am a high school student and i am studing Further Maths, phy, chem and bio.

What books, websites and activities do you guys recommend me for me to develop the interest and understanding in a particular field in science?

Edited by wanghankun

I want to be a scientist, yet I do not know what field I want to study. I am a high school student and i am studing Further Maths, phy, chem and bio.

The first thing you must do is put in the required effort in your current studies. Good grades now will give you more options in the very near future.

What books, websites and activities do you guys recommend me for me to develop the interest and understanding in a particular field in science?

I won't give any particular recommendations, others here for sure can, but try reading as much popular science as you can. It will give you an idea of what is going on.

As anyone would say, I suggest like trying your absolute hardest at high school, will keep the options open and will make your life a lot easier. (and ofc its cool to get good grades xD)

My advice on choosing the field of science is to go with whatever you can see yourself doing for a long time and which seems to have unending interest for you. I chose physics because I love all the stuff with time 'bending', weird quantum phenomena, the deep array of particles in the standard model, all that stuff. ..Instead of say biology, which, with all do respect to biologists, ends up grossing me out constantly.

Also if you want to understand something properly, where this understanding would take several years to build up, but you really want to understand it for interest's sake, I'd say go for that, since it'll keep you motivated and interested in the subject till you get to where you wanted to go. For me that's quantum field theory and general relativity, am still not quite there yet but so far the journey has been unending in interest. If you found something really fascinating in chemistry or biology which you really wanna know then.. yeah.

Interest in a topic will be the most important part. Imagining doing something at this early point is not terribly useful as you will likely have a very imprecise idea what a researcher will do in a day-to-day basis (especially as it will dependent strongly on what you are doing and where you are).

If you are fascinated by a subject so much that you cannot stop thinking about it, you have decent starting point. But as others have said, you should read around and find that thing (even if you do not end up in the field).

• 4 weeks later...

problem is, I am going have to choose my subject in university later this year...... and i want to choose the field i am most interested in (which is something im not sure of). yes, i favour biology and physics more than chemistry. but im not sure what discipline under biology and/or physics i want to do.

i think i have to visit universities (if i can get in), and ask arround.

problem is, I am going have to choose my subject in university later this year...... and i want to choose the field i am most interested in (which is something im not sure of). yes, i favour biology and physics more than chemistry. but im not sure what discipline under biology and/or physics i want to do.

i think i have to visit universities (if i can get in), and ask arround.

You narrowed it down to two fields, which is good. However; the heavy stuff of Biology has a lot of chemistry, so do put take that out of the equation. If you like physics, chemistry will be easier than you expect, imo.

You need time. Within a year you'll know exactly what you'll want to study. As mentioned above, keep an eye on popular science. Frequent science journals, read a couple of papers casually, and it'll hit you before you know it.

For me it took one semester of Anatomy and Physiology to figure out that I aspire to be a researcher more than a surgeon.