Clinical cytogenetics???

gattaca

Finishing up high school it's time for me to make a definite career choice. I have always loved genetics and have been really good at it and so it was an obvious choice that I would want to take up this field, it's only a question of what subfield. I have already decided medicinal genetics, and I've been looking into clinical cytogenetics. The pay seems good, and the job description fits what I want. But I don't know what actually goes on. Is it just pippetting stuff all day?? I mean I know I'll have to do that in the beginning a lot but I don't want that to be my actual career. And is there human interactions, like long term patients and such? I've heard the patients are everywhere in counseling, oncology etc but what about clinical cyto? I def. need human interaction in the career.

I've taken all AP accelerated bio classes and several short genetics classes on the side, also have taken the required math classes and even some non required. So u think I'm pretty good there.....

So can anyone answer my questions? What's being a clinical cytogeneticist like???

Thanks!

Gattaca

So **I think I'm pretty good there. Sorry!

Clinical cytogenetics is an approach, not a career or job per se. In that area there are different type of jobs ranging from technical personnel to the people running a diagnostic lab. One could work within health care providing units as well as independent contractor labs.

Your responsibilities would vary depending on position as well as type of the lab. E.g. as a technician/analyst your responsibilities would be more on doing the analyses and maybe training junior staff as well as providing reports for supervisors or other health professionals. Patient interactions is usually absent. For that type of work usually at least a BSc and subsequent certification training is required (details will vary between countries). For most other positions in that area a MD/PhD is required.