Unglue object with solvent or heat?

Winfried

Hello

To avoid getting my bike saddle stollen, I had the idea of gluing a small ball of steel, in addition to securing the saddle post through a secure screw:

post-74737-0-39252300-1391424795.png

But for when I need to remove the saddle, is there a way to "liquefy" the glue, through either a solvent or heat so I can remove the ball?

Thank you.

Edited by Winfried

I guess it depends on the glue.

Water glue (like glue that kids use at school) will come off with water. Other glues can be dissolved with an organic solvent (nail polish remover is often just acetone, and may work). Vegetable oils may also weaken a glue to a point where it comes off. Without more information on the type of glue, we can't help you any more.

On a side note, that metal ball is just so the screw driver won't fit, right? Don't you think that some thief would just knock that off with a bit of violence? You're trying to glue a metal to another metal, which is quite difficult. The result may not be as strong as you think.

I did think of using a torx screw instead, but I was wondering if sticking a ball of steel/plastic would be a good alternative.

I guess I'll forget about this, and try to find secure screws with the same diameter.

Thank you.

You could try hot glue and melt a bit in a spoon with a lighter. It's not an expensive experiment.

• 1 month later...

Torx screw sounds like the most elegant solution. Odds are good that they won't have one in their possession. Or you could just lie in wait for the thief and pummel him ;).

Otherwise, why not epoxy the hole, then remove with solvent? Using a spray duster to freeze the epoxy, then hammer + screwdriver to remove.