Politicizing Open Education

Ringer

http://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/us-government-shuts-down-access-to-online-courses-from-syria-sudan-iran-and-cuba

the gift of free education is cut off from some of the countries that need it most, indeed countries so torn by turmoil that online education may be one of the few remaining life lines. These are countries where Coursera has the power to change otherwise hopeless lives, countries where attending a bricks and mortar university is in many cases not an option due to ongoing conflict.

In a time when education is one of the most important things one can have the US government has screwed over people trying to better themselves. I have no idea how this move makes sense, nothing taught in university courses is a big secret. Anybody have any other feelings on this than disgust?

I think it's one of those "by the letter of the law instead of the intent of the law" issues. Clearly, our sanctions on those countries are intended to pressure their governments to cooperate and comply with certain international expectations. Sanctions include both goods and services, and by essentially all definitions these courses are a service.

Given the law in its current form, I can understand the decision to restrict access. Given the practical concerns of these regions and the longer-term greater good, however, I'd strongly urge our congress to update the legislation to insert an exception for MOOC's and other online educational resources for these people who would benefit greatly from access to free education.

I think that it's always been against our regulations, and was just never enforced, however there is a renewed and intense spotlight on the sanctions now with negotiations taking place and IMO enforcement of all provisions has become much less lackadaisical. It is very stupid on many levels, but I can also appreciate the legal challenge of making exception for one service but not another. They should IMO explicitly carve out an exception for MOOCs and be done with this.

And, I mean... seriously... how hard could it be to get our congress to do something smart like adding this exception? It's a sure thing and slam dunk and sure to happen, right? rolleyes.gif

Regardless, it seems the sanctions against Syria have done exactly that so perhaps it's less futile than I imagine to do something similar in Cuba and Iran and Sudan.

http://blog.coursera.org/post/74891215298/update-on-course-accessibility-for-students-in-cuba

Certain United States export control regulations prohibit U.S. businesses, such as MOOC providers like Coursera, from offering services to users in sanctioned countries, including Cuba, Iran, Sudan, and Syria. Under the law, certain aspects of Coursera’s course offerings are considered services and are therefore subject to restrictions in sanctioned countries, with the exception of Syria (see below).

<snip>

Coursera has received notice from the Department of State that the services we provide fall under an exception (according to OFAC’s Syria General License No. 11A), which authorizes certain services in support of nongovernmental organizations’ activities in Syria, particularly as they pertain to increasing access to education. This came to our attention after we initiated the blockage, however since learning about the exception, we have restored full access to students in Syria.

It seems from the web that edX.org (which is not for profit) is still providing services whereas Coursera and Udacity have both been forced to block IP addresses from sanctioned states.

Although searching on site:edx.og Iran - brings up on google the description of a page on the student FAQ about withholding certificates

Note: At this time, edX is holding certificates for students connected with Cuba, Iran, and Sudan pending confirmation that the issuance is in compliance with U.S. embargoes.

It no longer exists on the edx site as google have it - I found above on the wayback machine It has changed between now and the 23rd January.

edit

It seems from the FT article here that permission can be sought and has been received by edx. Hopefully the other sites can seek permission and get this terrible situation fixed. Maybe it is the difference of being for-profit and not-for-profit. However the injunction in Prof Ebrahim Afsah's message not to complain to Coursera might be a little too hasty - make voices heard and opinions known.

FYG here is Coursera's notice blog confirming they are seeking permission to restart. Hopefully, good sense will reign.