Bat and Ball

YT2095

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should KNOW by now the YT hates maths' date=' so you`ve got NO CHANCE old pall :)

...[/quote']

sorry YT, will try to think of another nonmaths one

we can just leave this one in case anyone else wants to try it

(15X120 aint right)

I came up with 3999960.

(There are 120 possible permutations of 54321, and each number will be in one of the columns 24 times during those 120 permutations. So you take (24x5)+(24x4)+(24x3)+(24x2)+(24x1) to get 360 for each column. Now just multiply by the proper factor of ten for each of the columns and add them together. It's been a while since I've done any type of intense math, so please tell me where my logic went wrong if it is incorrect).

It's been a while since I've done any type of intense math.

aha! key words INTENSE MATH!

and you expected ME to work that out?

Ahahah hahahaha hah haaahaha PMSL wahaha ahaha haaahahaahaa ROFLOL ehehhhehehehe heehehhe

ok, so now that`s over with, answer the guy!

I came up with 3999960.

(There are 120 possible permutations of 54321' date=' and each number will be in one of the columns 24 times during those 120 permutations. So you take (24x5)+(24x4)+(24x3)+(24x2)+(24x1) to get 360 for each column. Now just multiply by the proper factor of ten for each of the columns and add them together. It's been a while since I've done any type of intense math, so please tell me where my logic went wrong if it is incorrect).[/quote']

JDURG GOT IT!!!

sorry I didnt see your answer till just now. I was away and forgot to check when I came back.

yeah' date=' I like your way of solving it.

congratulations jdurg.

I see how you got the number 360 and I think the answer is equal to

360 x 11111[/quote']

Yup. 360 x 11111 is basically how I did it. You just happened to have a more eloquent and concise way of saying it. :D

This one is for YT, because he likes puzzles to be non-mathematical, and for anyone else who wants to try it.

Can you change BLACK to WHITE one letter at a time?

the rule is that each time you change a letter it has to make a real English word, like if you use a really obscure unusual word give a link to Webster's International or some other online dictionary that has it.

extra glory if you can get from one to the other using only common words.

[edit: MESSAGE ADDED TO DEIFIED, who got a solution only a few hours after this was posted. Great going! I am going to wait and see if any shorter sequence of "word-moves" is found. If not found in a couple of days this is clearly the winner. I cant think of anything shorter. BTW is clack a real English word? like is it in some prestigeous online dictionary? That is just a quibble. I know click is because you click the shutter of a camera.

But I cant picture clack being defined in Webster's International or the OED.

Oops, jordan pointed out a flaw i hadnt noticed:

BLACK

CLACK

CLICK

TRICK

TRICE

TRITE

WRITE

WHITE

going from click to trick is not changing one letter at a time, you changed two letters. perhaps you can repair this]

BLACK

BLAKE

BLEAT

BLERT

BERTH

THEIR

WHITE

aHAHAHA. NEWTONIAN STRIKES AGAIN

I'm not so sure that 'BLERT' is a word. It is an Acronym, but not a word. (According to any dictionary's I have access too. BLURT is a word, but not BLERT). Also, BLAKE is a proper name and not a word. However, it is in the dictionary so I guess that one would have to work.

BLACK

CLACK

CLICK

TRICK

TRICE

TRITE

WRITE

WHITE

Thats a tough one. I'll bet there's a shorter way.

If you put 'CRICK' in between CLICK and TRICK it all works out fine.

BLACK

CLACK

CLICK

CRICK

TRICK

TRICE

TRITE

WRITE

WHITE

And CLACK is a real word. It means to abruptly make a sharp sound with two objects. Like 'clacking' a rock against another rock.

If you put 'CRICK' in between CLICK and TRICK it all works out fine.

BLACK

CLACK

CLICK

CRICK

TRICK

TRICE

TRITE

WRITE

WHITE

And CLACK is a real word. It means to abruptly make a sharp sound with two objects. Like 'clacking' a rock against another rock.

I feel so... stupid. I originally had exactly what you wrote but I edited it out because I thought it was unecessary. I thought it was a shortcut. Oh well.

I'm not so sure that 'BLERT' is a word. It is an Acronym, but not a word. (According to any dictionary's I have access too. BLURT is a word, but not BLERT). Also, BLAKE is a proper name and not a word. However, it is in the dictionary so I guess that one would have to work.

Aww thats nitpicking,so its an acronym.I still done it in six,and in 5 mins.Dont i get some back slapping off my buddies.

You know by now im childish and crave the attention of my peers :D

Aww thats nitpicking,so its an acronym...

sorry to disappoint but jdurg is not being a nitpicker so much as

just going along with how the puzzle was posed

it was meant to be a way from black to white

through ordinary English words, not acronyms, and spelled right,

that you can find in a dictionary

I have a fat Webster's International right here and it doent have

BLERT in it but it does have BRACK interestingly enough

an unusual word related to brackish and bracken