Growing E.coli under anaerobic conditions with ethanolamine

Hazraa

Hi!

Has anyone grown E.coli K-12 under anaerobic conditions using ethanolamine as the sole nitrogen source or even carbon and nitrogen source with cobalamin?

E.coli has the enzyme ethanolamine ammonia lyase which requires cobalamin (B12) to break it down to produce ammonia and acetate. I have successfully grown E.coli K-12 in ethanolamine (N source) + glycerol (C source) with added B12 under aerobic conditions. I have also grown E.coli K-12 in ethanolamine (C and N source) with added B12 under aerobic conditions. But when I try to grow E.coli K-12 anaerobically with ethanolamine + glycerol, it does not grow.

I realize this has something to do with the electron donor and acceptor that I have to provide E.coli with under anaerobic condition. I would appreciate any inputs from the community on what electron donor-acceptor pair works for ethanolamine growth of E.coli under anaerobic conditions.

Thanks much!

Hm theoretically I would assume that ethanolamine could work as electron donor in E. coli by converting acetaldehyde to acetate.

With regards to electron acceptors, E. coli does favor them in order of ATP generation. As in basically all facultatives nitrate respiration is next in line. Lower yield acceptors include DMSO and fumarate, but then you have C4 body in there that may interfere with whatever experiment you are interested in.

• 4 weeks later...

@CharonY

Thanks much for the logical explanation and your suggestion to use DMSO. It has worked well for me as an electron acceptor for anaerobic E.coli growth. Additionally, some research led me to ASM's E.coli and S. enterica literature, and it says that TMAO also possibly works an an electron acceptor.

Thanks again.

• 7 months later...

to Hazraa

These experiments are very interesting for me! Could you, please, tell me if you managed to grow E coli using TMAO as acceptor? Haven't you try to use nitrate as acceptor? And, in your practice or theoretically, is it possible for E coli to use ethanolamine as C source anaerobically?

Your experience will be very useful for me!