Majoring Computer Science are helpful for my future?

Vinsin

**I am new to this if I post into a wrong place forgive me.

My question is because I don't really know what Computer science course teach you, right now I am studying HTML4, CSS, CS3, C#, C, C++, SQL, MySQL & PHP, etc at home (not from school).

The main point is when I searching job on www.indeed.com and I enter one of the category above, I find out most company didn't have Bachelor degree as a requirement and the salary are very high too, is between $50,000 ~ $120,000. But one or two company did ask for Bachelor degree.

And I know in college, Computer Science don't teach all those category, so what is the point for me to get a Bachelor Degree if I can find a part-time or full-time job with one of the category above?

I know some of you in this forum know about questions like this, can you please answer my question.

Thank you

Some companies do require a degree. Even if you can get a job without a degree, your starting salary will be less without a degree.

Although programming requires knowing at least one programming language, there are other subjects that are important too, including data structures and algorithms. Programming is required for many disciplines, including communications, physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, business, game development, robotics, and many more. Different disciplines require different skills, some of them calculus, numerical analysis, linear algebra, and other kinds of mathematics. Robotics and artificial intelligence work sometimes require using languages such as Lisp and Prolog.

This is a duplicate thread. I've moved my reply to the other thread.

Should I delete this? or keep both

Some companies do require a degree. Even if you can get a job without a degree, your starting salary will be less without a degree.

Although programming requires knowing at least one programming language, there are other subjects that are important too, including data structures and algorithms. Programming is required for many disciplines, including communications, physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, business, game development, robotics, and many more. Different disciplines require different skills, some of them calculus, numerical analysis, linear algebra, and other kinds of mathematics. Robotics and artificial intelligence work sometimes require using languages such as Lisp and Prolog.

Okay, lets say with a degree the company pay me $80,000 a year, without a degree how much they probably will pay me?

Okay, lets say with a degree the company pay me $80,000 a year, without a degree how much they probably will pay me?

I don't know the answer to this question, but when I worked, there were salary surveys that gave that kind of information. You should try to find one.

Are you sure you searched for entry level positions? Both the salary range and the lack of certificate requirement somewhat indicate your search included senior positions. That said, among the computer scientists in my group I see no correlation between the "rank" of their university degree (none, B.Sc., masters) and their performance. So perhaps a university degree really doesn't matter much in that business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

I have done my majors in computer science and graduated in year 2013 and i am now working for an IT company with good remuneration, this course is a good career oriented and i would suggest to go for it, check this https://essay.cafe/computer-science-essay.html, so that you can understand what are benefits and advantage in learning this course and how helpful it would be to your career.

Thanks,

Santosh