Science Forums Etiquette

Cap'n Refsmmat

I must agree with DrRocket's evaluation of "reputation points". To present the flip side of the coin, a banned member may very well have spoken the truth.

That's not a flip side, because reputation is not a criterion for suspension. There may be correlation, because the behavior that gets one suspended often irritates a participant or several to the point of downvoting posts exhibiting the objectionable behavior.

Further, being right or wrong or is not a factor in suspension. People are suspended because they break the rules. Being right is not a shield against this, and questioning the status quo is not a factor. It's about following the rules and engaging in civil scientific discussion. (i.e. facts and rigorous analysis, not rhetoric or posturing)

This should become easier in the age of electronic records, I would assume. Do you agree?

Not necessarily. Data formatting is not standardized and rarely documented, and this is a huge headache for analysis. Electronic historical records may be in a storage format of file structure that's not useful. Let's say I have some on a zip drive or floppy disk saved in a proprietary format of a program that hasn't been supported since mac OS 7. How easy is that to process?

• 5 months later...

Me So Great!!!!

Nothing about being sexist in the rules? i guess theres not many around.

Im guna skuttle along and make thread about how women getting the vote correlated with the downfall of our once great nation. (true, i got sources)

Whats the triple post about rules and all that? I been getting jolly past few weeks.

Should add a rule about not getting drunk, its not healthy for the community or the person drinking!!!!!!!!!! (also got sources)

• 3 years later...

Referring to someone with other than their user name is poor etiquette, and a de-facto accusation of them being a sockpuppet is both off-topic and also a bad-faith post - they might not be.

Rules violations should be reported. Let mods figure it out.