Fatty acid oxidation assay - conversion Oleate to CO2

Hi guys,

I'm doing some in vitro fatty acids oxidation assay following the protocol by Sweeney 2005 (Diabetologia 48: 132–139).

Basically I trap the radiolabelled CO2 with filter paper which was previously soaked in phenetylamine:methanol and then I count the activity of each piece fof filter paper.

To get also the CO2 that is in solutution in the medium (bicarbonate) I acidify the medium with H2SO4 to pH1. It kills the cells of course, but at that point I no longer care smile.png

My point is: one of my collegues insists that she puts the H2SO4 on the filter paper together wiht the phenetylamine and than she incubates the flask (sealed) with this paper on the lid.

Is there any reason why she should acidify the filter paper instead of the medium?

I tried, it didn't work, nor I see any explanation why the H2SO4 onthe filter should be of any use.

Are these two different methods, or only one is right?

(and I'm pretty sure to know which one...)

thanks a lot

so, basically, in presence of the strong acid the CO2 doens't get trapped because all the phenethylamine forms a salt with the acid itself, am I right?

I guess I will have a hard time explaining this to my workmate given she doesn't know much of chemistry, but I can give it a try :)

thanks for your help!