4 replies to this topic

#1 markc85038

markc85038

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this forum. I am trying to help my 5th grade niece come up with a robotics project for her science project. Can anybody make a suggestion for something that would be suitable and where to gather info for such an endeavor? I have no experience with robotics myself, but want to help her out. All suggestion are welcomed. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may offer.

#2 InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

I believe Lego makes a whole line of toys that are geared towards children and robotics. They're programmable and advanced enough that (IIRC) there are college competitions where the ground rules are that everything in the robot has to be made by Lego... But they're still simple enough that a child can do it.

Edited by InigoMontoya, 14 January 2012 - 08:36 PM.

Causing my mother to roll over in her grave since 2003.

#3 michel123456

michel123456

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this forum. I am trying to help my 5th grade niece come up with a robotics project for her science project. Can anybody make a suggestion for something that would be suitable and where to gather info for such an endeavor? I have no experience with robotics myself, but want to help her out. All suggestion are welcomed. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may offer.

I have seen over the Net some example of robot-fish that seem quite easy to work out. Ill try to find it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1AFJTuekQY&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Michel what have you done?

#4 tomgwyther

tomgwyther

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationNew Forest UK

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Have a look at some 'Theo Jansen' mechanisms. they might be fun

Here are a few links:

My link

My link

Edited by tomgwyther, 14 January 2012 - 09:38 PM.

What am I trying to say? What words will express it? What image or idiom will make it clearer? Is this image fresh enough to have an effect? Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

When I was born I had no concept of race, nationality or religion... And I still don't.

#5 michel123456

michel123456

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Have a look at some 'Theo Jansen' mechanisms. they might be fun

Here are a few links:

My link

My link

broken links

Michel what have you done?