Proton Propulsion

Typical Hydrogen contains one proton in the nucleus and one electron in it's electron orbital level. In order to ionize Hydrogen, which means to break it into a separate proton and electron; a field of 13.6 electron volts is necessary. What would happen if Hydrogen is contained in a steel containment and the Hydrogen atoms are ionized? I propose that the electrons will fly out of the containment and the protons will bounce around the containment until they settle due, to being unipolar. However, if a section of the containment is made of copper, silver or gold, the protons will be released from the containment, but never settle due to their being linear channels in these metals big enough to fit protons through (the crystal structures of copper, silver and gold are cubic face centered). The protons will bounce around the containment until they run into the copper, silver or gold section, where they will fly out linearly and never have the opportunity to settle at the bottom of the containment due to the proton being unipolar.

Also, instead of just a copper, gold or silver section, you make a section that is attached to a wire(copper, silver or gold); protons will run through the wire like electrons through wires except the protons will flow through the channels and the electrons will go from free electrons to free electron through the wire. This would be the beginning of protonics which is similar to electronics. Once protons are run through wires, many experiments can be performed in the subject of protonics.

With releasing the protons through a section of copper, gold or silver the protons will propel the protonic propeller much like a jet engine when the protons hit the atmosphere. This propulsion could also turn an electrical generating turbine.

• 2 weeks later...

Typical Hydrogen contains one proton in the nucleus and one electron in it's electron orbital level. In order to ionize Hydrogen, which means to break it into a separate proton and electron; a field of 13.6 electron volts is necessary. What would happen if Hydrogen is contained in a steel containment and the Hydrogen atoms are ionized? I propose that the electrons will fly out of the containment and the protons will bounce around the containment until they settle due, to being unipolar. However, if a section of the containment is made of copper, silver or gold, the protons will be released from the containment, but never settle due to their being linear channels in these metals big enough to fit protons through (the crystal structures of copper, silver and gold are cubic face centered). The protons will bounce around the containment until they run into the copper, silver or gold section, where they will fly out linearly and never have the opportunity to settle at the bottom of the containment due to the proton being unipolar.

Also, instead of just a copper, gold or silver section, you make a section that is attached to a wire(copper, silver or gold); protons will run through the wire like electrons through wires except the protons will flow through the channels and the electrons will go from free electrons to free electron through the wire. This would be the beginning of protonics which is similar to electronics...

Before you get too involved with inventing protonic devices you should read the Wikipedia article on plasma physics. It will give you a more realistic picture of what happens when hydrogen atoms are ionized:

Plasma (physics)

Chris

Before you get too involved with inventing protonic devices you should read the Wikipedia article on plasma physics. It will give you a more realistic picture of what happens when hydrogen atoms are ionized:

Plasma (physics)

Chris

There is no heat involved in the process just electricity. Therefore, it will not turn form gas to plasma.

• 2 weeks later...

This proton propulsion system is much like an ion thruster that typically accelerates ion's of Xenon into the exhaust. This proton propulsion uses accelerated hydrogen ions instead of xenon ions of which both are plasmas and still accelerate the ions into the exhaust.

If your proposed system is "much like an ion thruster" then you may want to examine the Wikipedia article on such devices here:

http://en.wikipedia....toplasma_Rocket

According to the article, these devices can theoretically utilize hydrogen instead of the argon currently used in the prototypes:

Hydrogen generated by the ISS as a by-product is currently vented into space but will be redirected to the VASMIR to act as the fuel in place of the current Argon.

Chris

If your proposed system is "much like an ion thruster" then you may want to examine the Wikipedia article on such devices here:

http://en.wikipedia....toplasma_Rocket

According to the article, these devices can theoretically utilize hydrogen instead of the argon currently used in the prototypes:

Chris

Thanks for helping with my article I am just a mathmatician not a physicist so I'm learning as I go.

What do you think will happen with the proton propulsion system? Will it do anything. Also, I was reading that article on plasma and was noticing the degree of ionization. It says:

The degree of ionization of a plasma is the proportion of atoms that have lost (or gained) electrons, and is controlled mostly by the temperature. Even a partially ionized gas in which as little as 1% of the particles are ionized can have the characteristics of a plasma (i.e., response to magnetic fields and high electrical conductivity).

I think when ionized the ions will leave the containment quickly before becoming a plasma and very much less than 1% will be ionized at the same time and won't have the characteristics of a plasma. This was just a thought. Wondering what you think.

Also I was looking at this web page about ion thrusters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster#Propellants

Jon

I think when ionized the ions will leave the containment quickly before becoming a plasma and very much less than 1% will be ionized at the same time and won't have the characteristics of a plasma. This was just a thought. Wondering what you think.

Jon

If you're still thinking in terms of the electrons of an ionized gas separating from the plasma and "leaking out" through the walls while leaving the nuclei (protons) still contained, you're wrong. This simply will not happen.

Chris

• 4 years later...

So. What has happened with your efforts? Did you discover that by ripping the electrons off their host they like to email radiation? Or that you couldn't get it to give you any results really, likely to not starting with experiment contained in a vacuum? Your "hydrogen battery" will need some magnetic guidance, not too much acceleration really but definitely some circular guidance so that the path you propose for the protons or target has a constant supply and contain your emissions with a shield or complicated guidance for xrays and gamma rays. The collector plate on your original proposition would have to be enormous to register any results I think. Guide them, collect them, focus them, use them :)