Photo
- - - - -

Transparent Colorless waterbased Gel. How to?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 netrat

netrat

Quark

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Is it possible to make a completely transparent, colorless gel based on water?
I need it for an optical instrument, replacing glass with gel.

#2 Mr Skeptic

Mr Skeptic

iDon't-Believe-You

• Moderators
  • 8,309 posts
  • LocationDunkirk, NY

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

Nothing is completely transparent. A gel would be problematic for optical instruments since its size/shape would change if water content changed, and you would have humidity in your instrument maybe fogging up your lenses.
Our voting system is broken! It nearly guarantees that we will have only two political parties that have any chance of winning, and that they will be very similar.

#3 netrat

netrat

Quark

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Nothing is completely transparent. A gel would be problematic for optical instruments since its size/shape would change if water content changed, and you would have humidity in your instrument maybe fogging up your lenses.

I have planned to protect the instrument inside airtight glass casing. Only The complex shapes made of glass inside the instrument will be replaced by gel.
A little color is tolerable. But not like agar gel which finally turns yellow.
Some hair gels are completely colorless. But Is it possible to make a cheap(cheaper than shaped glass) water-based gel?

#4 mississippichem

mississippichem

fluorescent protein

• Resident Experts
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

I have planned to protect the instrument inside airtight glass casing. Only The complex shapes made of glass inside the instrument will be replaced by gel.
A little color is tolerable. But not like agar gel which finally turns yellow.
Some hair gels are completely colorless. But Is it possible to make a cheap(cheaper than shaped glass) water-based gel?

See the wikipedia article for aerogel. That's the closest thing I can think of. There they're hard to make though, and are fairly hygroscopic (water makes them lose their transparency).

Edited for stupidity

Edited by mississippichem, 22 September 2010 - 10:12 PM.

You've come a long way. Remember back when we defined what a velocity meant? Now we are talking about an antisymmetric tensor of second rank in four dimensions.

-Feynman Lectures on Physics II

#5 Mr Skeptic

Mr Skeptic

iDon't-Believe-You

• Moderators
  • 8,309 posts
  • LocationDunkirk, NY

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

Well, there's the gel that we have in our eyes, and the lens in our eyes (mostly collagen I think). There's also some (proposed?) cameras with flexible lenses to cut down on the huge assortment of lenses and mechanics in the camera.
Our voting system is broken! It nearly guarantees that we will have only two political parties that have any chance of winning, and that they will be very similar.

#6 rogerxd45

rogerxd45

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 2 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

cheap generic sex lube is clear....at least the one i have right now is, its mostly water and glycerin and a few other ingredients. its just plain "water based lubricating jelly" no flavors or anything like that and it appears to be perfectly clear to me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users