Aerodynamics

talking from a normal, every day civilian point of view, how much of a difference does aerodynamics make?

for instance the difference between crouching on a bike, and sitting up straight.

the difference between having a rear wing on your car and not having one.

obviously for racing it makes a difference, but does it really make a speed difference to civilians in normaly cars and bikes?

It is not just speed but also efficiency you are talking about here.

For the same energy, you get more work done.

Obviously, you won't like to crouch on a bike just to conserve energy. But as far as cars are concerned, civilian cars are already quite efficient aerodynamically (otherwise they'd just guzzle fuel). If you do put in more aerodynamicity improving features it should atleast in theory help improve efficiency, and perhaps speed as well.

well, i was wondering figures, it is worth me crouching on a bike when im going up hill, or on a long straight and i wanna go fast?

which is better for a car: a rear wing or a flash bumper?

in both cases obviously 'theoretically' its good to have aerodynamics, but does it help in the practical world? will I notice a difference?

or is it all 'theoretical' until you go to the professional stage or life!?

the difference between having a rear wing on your car and not having one.
I remember when spoilers (rear wings) became popular in the 70s. Several magazine articles came out saying that for production cars, your everyday-driving-around-town sort, they were strictly superficial. You have to be going 80+ mph in order for the downward force to create significant negative lift, affecting traction and rear wheel stability.

I don't know what a flash bumper is, but if it is the front-type spoiler that keeps airflow from going under the car, then this is actually effective. Besides channeling the airflow through the engine for greater cooling efficiency, it creates a low-pressure pocket under the car which increases gas mileage.

Most of the add-on crap that's supposed to improve aerodynamics is flash and ego. The cars are usually designed for fuel efficiency in the first place. If a few extra wings and swoopy-things improved mileage, if would be standard so they'd get the best ratings.

so it makes a difference but only at high speeds. ok. how much of a difference, coz its hard to tell by just doing it, you cant measure your speed, unless you have one of those bike speed measuring things, which i dont have.