Night Terrors

falcon9393

is it possible that repressed memmories can come back to you in your sleep?

i have been dealing with night terrors for about 2 years now and have been lately having strange but familiar memmories come back to me am i delusional or whats going on?

i can stop these dreams by taking a sleep medication to stop my sleep walking and night terrors should i continue with that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terrors

thanx for all the advice!

My daughter gets them, but only when she`s Over Tired, I find that I can usually get her out of them within 10 mins by using cracking a couple of Glow-Sticks and making shapes on the floor in her bedroom.

otherwise she can stay in one for a good half hour or so!

I get Similar, and as Wiki says mine IS related to Hypoglycemia as well as Trauma, happily it only lasts a few seconds though for me.

I`d say do whatever works for now, but seek further advice from a proper Sleep Clinic.

My daughter gets them, but only when she`s Over Tired, I find that I can usually get her out of them within 10 mins by using cracking a couple of Glow-Sticks and making shapes on the floor in her bedroom.

otherwise she can stay in one for a good half hour or so!

I get Similar, and as Wiki says mine IS related to Hypoglycemia as well as Trauma, happily it only lasts a few seconds though for me.

I`d say do whatever works for now, but seek further advice from a proper Sleep Clinic.

Glow sticks really? thats strange how do those help?

I`m not entirely Sure, it was just an Idea that came to me one night when she was particularly bad and I couldn`t get her out of it.

so I figured interesting Optical stimulation MAY get another part of her brain working.

and since I had some glow sticks left over from Halloween I used those, and it Worked!

now I have a few thousand of them in the Chem stock room (just in case).

I`m not entirely Sure, it was just an Idea that came to me one night when she was particularly bad and I couldn`t get her out of it.

so I figured interesting Optical stimulation MAY get another part of her brain working.

and since I had some glow sticks left over from Halloween I used those, and it Worked!

now I have a few thousand of them in the Chem stock room (just in case).

hmmm...ill have to try that

well there`s no way YOU can, is there?

you`d need to clue your partner up before hand as to what you wanted them to try and use to snap you out of it.

I used Glow sticks and simple shapes as my daughter is 2.75 years old (she was younger when I found that it worked), so maybe getting your partner ask you a Maths question or something more Complex than Triangles and squares etc... on the floor will be needed?

I mean I don`t KNOW, it Might indeed Work perfectly for you also!? who can tell?

but Not having a background in This area of Psychology, I seriously cannot say.

you may work better with Audio rather than Visual Triggers, or maybe a Smell might do the trick? you need to experiment.

well there`s no way YOU can, is there?

you`d need to clue your partner up before hand as to what you wanted them to try and use to snap you out of it.

I used Glow sticks and simple shapes as my daughter is 2.75 years old (she was younger when I found that it worked), so maybe getting your partner ask you a Maths question or something more Complex than Triangles and squares etc... on the floor will be needed?

I mean I don`t KNOW, it Might indeed Work perfectly for you also!? who can tell?

but Not having a background in This area of Psychology, I seriously cannot say.

you may work better with Audio rather than Visual Triggers, or maybe a Smell might do the trick? you need to experiment.

will do thanks for the ideas! :)

I used to get night terrors when I was a teen. Nothing to bad just witches floating over my bed. I assumed it was an optical issue with my eyes in the dark and not being fully awake. Only the first few were "scary" as I quickly gave them a logical explanation if the wrong one.

Only much later did I discover that my brother had very similar night terrors but he still had his well into his twenties. He realised they were night terrors and simply refused to let them scare him any more. Talking to him, they were similar to mine but more vivid.

The interesting thing is that the night terrors we had were almost identical.

I used to get night terrors when I was a teen. Nothing to bad just witches floating over my bed. I assumed it was an optical issue with my eyes in the dark and not being fully awake. Only the first few were "scary" as I quickly gave them a logical explanation if the wrong one.

Only much later did I discover that my brother had very similar night terrors but he still had his well into his twenties. He realised they were night terrors and simply refused to let them scare him any more. Talking to him, they were similar to mine but more vivid.

The interesting thing is that the night terrors we had were almost identical.

woah spooky! mine are a little different..the wierd part about mine is i wake up with scratches and they are bloody and i even woke up with a bite mark once i sleep alone and lock the door so my shrink and I assume that i self inflict pain on myself in my sleep!! so now i take a sleep drug to stop the dreams i still occasionaly get them : /

woah spooky! mine are a little different..the wierd part about mine is i wake up with scratches and they are bloody and i even woke up with a bite mark once i sleep alone and lock the door so my shrink and I assume that i self inflict pain on myself in my sleep!! so now i take a sleep drug to stop the dreams i still occasionaly get them : /

Maybe there's a monster under your bed :eek:

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this'll work for you, but what I did was before going to sleep, I play the most comforting music for me, the more noise, the better. And then I drift off to a dreamless, or so i think, sleep.

I'm not sure if this'll work for you, but what I did was before going to sleep, I play the most comforting music for me, the more noise, the better. And then I drift off to a dreamless, or so i think, sleep.

I don't normally experience night terrors but sometimes if I take melatonin to go to sleep when I otherwise wouldn't, then I do. Not sure what to make of it and don't know if others have experienced this but if so might give some insight as to the brain chemistry involved.

• 4 years later...

I have suffered from night terrors my entire life. I am currently 22 and still have them nightly. I also sleep walk quite frequently which isnt a good combination. I have the most understand and loving girlfriend in the world because there has been a few times where the night terror/sleep walking combination where acted out toward her. I take medication now to keep me still but the best advice i can give you to snap them out of it is a "Sternum Rub." place your knuckle(s) on the sternum and massage with a good amount of pressure. this will give a shock of adrenaline and wake them up :)