What would happen if you just ate crisps? (=chips in US)

rmp2000v21

I am just wondering what any scientists think would happen to you if all you ate was potato chips (aka crisps in the UK). You are allowed to drink water, but the only food you can eat is crisps. Apart from the obvious effect of getting bored of eating crisps, what physical effects would it have???

This is a genuine question!

Cheers,

RMP

I know i said physical effects, but i think one should consider the social effects too - awkward situations such as a meal at a friends house where you have to refuse the food on account of your crisp diet, not to mention the constant noise pollution of your chewing.

On another note, are there particular flavours which should be avoided if following this diet - i hear prawn cocktail is pumped with bad additives? If you were on the diet, what would the recommended daily intake be (in 25g bags), in order to maximise survival but minismise scurvy?

Interesting...

This might be a little of subject but there was a study ounce where one set of rats were fed only cereal and another set were fed only the cereal boxes. Guess which lived longer? The box eaters lived much longer because they were "fasting" while the cereal eats were poisoned by the sugar.

Uhg I hate cereal anyway. I imagine much the same thing would happen with "crisps".

potatoes are quite rich in vit C just under their skins, the cooking process soon eliminates that though, and despite stuff Lacking that you need, if you look at what you`de be getting, The high sodium content alone would have severe effects on the heart and kidneys. starch and fats would soon create intestinal problems, within days.

I think we've established that the overall result is death. However, how could you put off the inevitable for the longest time, whilst only eating crisps? one bag a day?

If you could only pick one flavour/style, what would it be? I'd choose steak McCoys. (bearing in mind that you will be eating only this type for the rest of your life)

acetic acid won`t help with scurvy I`m fairly sure anyway.

Ascorbic acid is the one that`s needed, Vit C.

Lemon and scampi would maybe help? :)

{edit}: on reflection, I think I`de like to change my 1`st choice too, I`de pick those Thai, Lime and Chili ones, they`re baked too, so less fat, all the other stuff wouldn`t do me much good probably, but I`de die happy :)

as For Discos, Do they still make those? I`ve not seen them for years! I used to like a pack or 2 of them. does anyone remember the Transformer-snacks, the sort you could make into little cars and stuff, they used to have something like 15% RDA of all the needed vits per pack, so that would be the smart choice if you HAD TO live on things like that, it also provides endless entertainment value, so boredom would never be an issue either :)

Just a thought ;)

YT2095 said in post #17 :

acetic acid won`t help with scurvy I`m fairly sure anyway.

Ascorbic acid is the one that`s needed, Vit C.

Lemon and scampi would maybe help? :)

{edit}: on reflection, I think I`de like to change my 1`st choice too, I`de pick those Thai, Lime and Chili ones, they`re baked too, so less fat, all the other stuff wouldn`t do me much good probably, but I`de die happy :)

as For Discos, Do they still make those? I`ve not seen them for years! I used to like a pack or 2 of them. does anyone remember the Transformer-snacks, the sort you could make into little cars and stuff, they used to have something like 15% RDA of all the needed vits per pack, so that would be the smart choice if you HAD TO live on things like that, it also provides endless entertainment value, so boredom would never be an issue either :)

Just a thought ;)

In the book "Stowaway" when the captin was afriad that they might scurvy they had to eat sauerkraut and have a spoonful of viniger everyday to avoid getting scurvy. I guess they were wrong, or maybe it does something else?

Saurkraut is (original recipe) is cabbage leave packed with salt, on occasion Carraway seeds were added, it`s then souked and boiled in plain water, after that it maybe treated with vinigar or cloves, the vit C would have come from the cabbage, theres no vit C in acetic acid (vinigar) though :)

vinigar as far as I`m aware would have no effect at all on scurvy, it`s purely a Vit C deficiency, that`s why the British ships used to carry limes on board (hence we`re known as Limeys), it was to stop scurvy.

I think one of the most ironic and somewhat sad facts that occured in history was when a ship was returning back from where it came with a cargo of capsicum peppers, alot of it`s crew died of scurvy, little knowing that their cargo would have saved their lives as a rich source of Vit C !