Sound in space.

alt_f13

Perhaps sound in space is explainable.

I don't mean sound being transmitted in the normal sense, but hearing something inside your spaceship about whats going on outside.

I am of course talking about the science-infamous series Star Trek.

Nowadays, tactical recon teams and ERTs use lasers to measure the vibrations of windows and such to hear what is going on inside buildings. That is just to remind you that sound information can be transmitted through electromagnetic radiation.

Now, in the year 2347, what if a nearby ship were to explode when their matter/antimater warp-drive was destroyed. Would the resulting wave of radiation be sufficient enough to cause vibration in your own ship? I believe it would, if it didn't destroy your ship as well.

Now the Enterprise is supposedly made of a titanium alloy, and the "phaser" is meant to be able to burn through such a material as if it were a hot pin through butter. Would a force of this magnitude cause the ship to vibrate enough for everyone onboard to hear it? I believe so as well.

Remember, I said nothing about sound moving through space, just sound resulting from intense electro-magnetic radiation pulses that can move through space.

Also, how fast would something that is extremely hot lose its heat in the middle of space? I don't see a reason for it to radiate the heat away faster, and there are no, or few, particles in space with which to interact, so conduction is out of the question. In Mission to Mars, the astronaught is seen to freeze in a matter of seconds after removing his helmet in space. For what reason would this happen? It seems quite wrong to me. With no protection from the sun's radiation, it seems more likely that he would "microwave", for want of a better term, rather than freeze.

Thoughts?

Well, aside from a shockwave of some sorts, you wouldn't get sound; from what I understand of the technology, you're getting it the wrong way round; the laser doesn't generate the sound, it just measures it.

[edit]

And heat =/= force.

alt_f13 said in post #1 :

Also, how fast would something that is extremely hot lose its heat in the middle of space? I don't see a reason for it to radiate the heat away faster, and there are no, or few, particles in space with which to interact, so conduction is out of the question. In Mission to Mars, the astronaught is seen to freeze in a matter of seconds after removing his helmet in space. For what reason would this happen? It seems quite wrong to me. With no protection from the sun's radiation, it seems more likely that he would "microwave", for want of a better term, rather than freeze.

Thoughts?

He mostly froze because he was exposed to a vacuum. But even though conduction isn't the greatest in a vacuum doesn't mean freezing doesn't occur. If space is, say around 4K, in the vicinity of Mars, than the sun isn't close enough for rapid heating. BUUUUUT...the extreme cold and vacuum would cause havoc to someone who took off their helmet. The extreme rush of air leaving the body pulls heat away as well as liquids rapidly crystallizing in the vacuum causes explosive decompression most of the time.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Well, aside from a shockwave of some sorts, you wouldn't get sound; from what I understand of the technology, you're getting it the wrong way round; the laser doesn't generate the sound, it just measures it.

[edit]

And heat =/= force.

I never said the laser "made" sound. That doesnt make sense. They use it to "measure the vibrations" of things and from that they can turn it into sound. It was merely showing how light can be used as an analog carrier of sound information and was only an example. I could have used fibre-optics as an example but the relationship would have been less apparent. Perhaps less confusing as well.

I assume you said "And heat =/= force " because I said a phaser is used to "burn" a hole in something. That was a figure of speach. It is not lighting anything on fire and is not melting titanium. It is blowing a massive hole in your ship. I would say it exerts a force if its blowing its way through titanium, and that seems like it would make a sound to me. The vaporized (extemely dense) titanium has to go somewhere, and would probably be making quite a commotion as it does.

And I am still not clear on how space can be cold if there is nothing there to stop particles from vibrating; I don't quite understand the mechanics of it. Is the ratio of heat radiating from astronaught:space is so high that the astronught loses more heat than he gains form the sun? He was unprotected from the radiation.

alt_f13 said in post #6 :

And I am still not clear on how space can be cold if there is nothing there to stop particles from vibrating; I don't quite understand the mechanics of it. Is the ratio of heat radiating from astronaught:space is so high that the astronught loses more heat than he gains form the sun? He was unprotected from the radiation.

Getting colder isn't realized by making The vibrations stop by some force or anything it is just a result of decreasing the amount of energy and if you are in space (without shielding) you are just a fountain of energy in all directions.

You can ask a comet how he/she feels about being in space and doing a close pass around the sun.

Space suits don't only isolate so it would be nice and warm inside but also prorect them from all the harmfull radiation in space.

superchump said in post #3 :

He mostly froze because he was exposed to a vacuum. But even though conduction isn't the greatest in a vacuum doesn't mean freezing doesn't occur. If space is, say around 4K, in the vicinity of Mars, than the sun isn't close enough for rapid heating. BUUUUUT...the extreme cold and vacuum would cause havoc to someone who took off their helmet. The extreme rush of air leaving the body pulls heat away as well as liquids rapidly crystallizing in the vacuum causes explosive decompression most of the time.

Actually, the idea of explosive decompression as shown in many movies doesn't happen. There will be some swelling of tissue, but nothing to that extent. A person would even stay conscious for about 10 sec, and if repressurized within 90 sec, would survive with no permanent ill effects.

There is actually evidence to support this. In 1966, a technician testing a pressure suit was accidentally exposed to hard vacuum for 30 sec. He came out of it just fine.

Since audio sound generally needs a gas carrier to your ears it wouldn't be found in space. The sound on the hull of the ship would be other waves carried and translated by the ships hull. If you want to hear sound and allow for translators then pointing microwave antennas and translating into sound should let you hear the whole event.

Just aman

who the heck is Janus!

BAH! I'll have to make my own picture now...soon's the computer labs open up again

back to the topic

I think it's been said already, I pretty much agree with whoever's saying the right thing ;)

Originally posted by Janus

Actually, the idea of explosive decompression as shown in many movies doesn't happen. There will be some swelling of tissue, but nothing to that extent. A person would even stay conscious for about 10 sec, and if repressurized within 90 sec, would survive with no permanent ill effects.

YT's right, that would give one a not so nice ear ache, but that's still pretty dang cool...I'll have to do some research on that..

Originally posted by aman

...pointing microwave antennas and translating into sound should let you hear the whole event.

Just aman

Ha, thats awesome. Maybe thats how the space cameras work ;)

What you said before that's pretty much what I meant the entire time.

I remember from years ago, being taught for nearby bomb blasts, that a way to prepare if you have warning, is to plug your ears with your index fingers and your nostrils with your thumbs, hold your mouth wide open and relax your chest/breathing muscles. that way the shock wave wont rupture your lungs and other delicate bits, I guess if your stuck in an airlock and some maniac on the other side is gunna let you out for a breath of fresh space, it MAY help, just long enough, for you to say "Good Bye Cruel World" :)