What would happen if Jupiter was struck by a large enough asteroid.

NimrodTheGoat

So I saw this video earlier today. http://www.space.com/32411-jupiter-hit-by-comet-asteroid-video.html

Hypothetically asking, what would happen if an asteroid, that is going fast and big enough, were to strike into Jupiter and survive the ordeal, and pass right through it. Would Jupiter be the same? What would happen to Jupiter?

I think you have envisaged an impossible combination of conditions. The only thing likely to be able to pass through would be a small black hole. That would combine the high mass required in combination with small diameter. Any other scenarios leave Jupiter relatively untroubled or semi-demolished in the way the proto-Earth was during the formation of the moon. Anything asteroid sized, of normal matter, simply could not make it through.

I think you have envisaged an impossible combination of conditions. The only thing likely to be able to pass through would be a small black hole. That would combine the high mass required in combination with small diameter. Any other scenarios leave Jupiter relatively untroubled or semi-demolished in the way the proto-Earth was during the formation of the moon. Anything asteroid sized, of normal matter, simply could not make it through.

Kinda vauge explanation. Just saying it can't.

The reason it can't is mainly do to air density and gravity.

A large enough asteroid would require enough speed to get all the way through Juipiter without gravity pulling it back.

While theoretically, if it were simply gravity, the asteroid could start at 1/1,000,000,000 MPH and start falling toward the center of gravity. Once it reached the center of gravity, it would be going considerably faster. Once it passed the center of gravity it would start to decelerate, until it got just out of the gravitational reach of the planet and be traveling again at 1/1,000,000,000 MPH. So basically a speed boost on it's path.

Except this wouldn't happen. The air pressure on Jupiter would simply stop and absorb all the energy from an asteroid.

The air pressure at the first layer of Jupiter's atmosphere is 0.5 atmospheres. A little farther down, and you reach 1 atmospheres. 30% of the way towards Jupiter's center you're suddenly at 2 MILLION atmospheres of pressure. The atmosphere is so hot that it glows white hot. Most materials would simply melt at this point, because it's estimated to probably be around 18,000 degree's Fahrenheit. It's like passing through solid material with the air pressure so high.

At some point, you would hit the center of Jupiter. Here, at 25 Million atmospheres, you would be basically on a solid collection of exotic ices and rock that could only exist at the pressure of 25 Million atmospheres. It's extremely hot, and since this is so dense, due to the sheer weight of all the gas on Jupiter, nothing except something denser could smash it's way through.

So a neutron star, or a black hole, could probably "pass" through Jupiter. But if one of those passed through, you might not be able to call it a planet anymore. Theoretically, a small black hole could zip right through and pretty much nothing would happen. But a neutron star would have to deal with the laws of physics and actually slow down a little.

But an asteroid?

First it would smash into tiny little rocks in the first part of the atmosphere, like on earth.

If it survived that, they would have to somehow power their way through an ever increasing density of air that it would be like pushing it's way through water. If it did this for a very long time, it would have to somehow avoid not melting in the extreme temperatures. If it somehow smashed into the core and powered it's way through it, it'd have to deal with gravity. Gravity would constantly be pulling it back, and it would have to power it's way back out. This time with gravity against it.

Once it did all of this, it would "smash" through Jupiter.

So as you can see, it's very unlikely.

Kinda vauge explanation. Just saying it can't.

The reason it can't is mainly do to air density and gravity.

A large enough asteroid would require enough speed to get all the way through Juipiter without gravity pulling it back.

While theoretically, if it were simply gravity, the asteroid could start at 1/1,000,000,000 MPH and start falling toward the center of gravity. Once it reached the center of gravity, it would be going considerably faster. Once it passed the center of gravity it would start to decelerate, until it got just out of the gravitational reach of the planet and be traveling again at 1/1,000,000,000 MPH. So basically a speed boost on it's path.

Except this wouldn't happen. The air pressure on Jupiter would simply stop and absorb all the energy from an asteroid.

The air pressure at the first layer of Jupiter's atmosphere is 0.5 atmospheres. A little farther down, and you reach 1 atmospheres. 30% of the way towards Jupiter's center you're suddenly at 2 MILLION atmospheres of pressure. The atmosphere is so hot that it glows white hot. Most materials would simply melt at this point, because it's estimated to probably be around 18,000 degree's Fahrenheit. It's like passing through solid material with the air pressure so high.

At some point, you would hit the center of Jupiter. Here, at 25 Million atmospheres, you would be basically on a solid collection of exotic ices and rock that could only exist at the pressure of 25 Million atmospheres. It's extremely hot, and since this is so dense, due to the sheer weight of all the gas on Jupiter, nothing except something denser could smash it's way through.

So a neutron star, or a black hole, could probably "pass" through Jupiter. But if one of those passed through, you might not be able to call it a planet anymore. Theoretically, a small black hole could zip right through and pretty much nothing would happen. But a neutron star would have to deal with the laws of physics and actually slow down a little.

But an asteroid?

First it would smash into tiny little rocks in the first part of the atmosphere, like on earth.

If it survived that, they would have to somehow power their way through an ever increasing density of air that it would be like pushing it's way through water. If it did this for a very long time, it would have to somehow avoid not melting in the extreme temperatures. If it somehow smashed into the core and powered it's way through it, it'd have to deal with gravity. Gravity would constantly be pulling it back, and it would have to power it's way back out. This time with gravity against it.

Once it did all of this, it would "smash" through Jupiter.

So as you can see, it's very unlikely.

Ok so what if it was a smaller gaseous planet. Let's take Neptune, or the smallest gaseous planet possible that can exist with our laws. What would happen to the planet itself, and all the gasses it contains, if something fast and big enough were to smash into it.

So I saw this video earlier today. http://www.space.com/32411-jupiter-hit-by-comet-asteroid-video.html

Hypothetically asking, what would happen if an asteroid, that is going fast and big enough, were to strike into Jupiter and survive the ordeal, and pass right through it. Would Jupiter be the same? What would happen to Jupiter?

There are too many variables in your hypothetical Jupiter Strike question for it to be answered with any degree of accuracy, I think. Rather than I believe it's safe to say that no planet would be the same after a foreign space body slammed right through it. LOL. Jupiter IS a gas giant so its density is far less than that of one of our solar systems inner five planets, including Earth. It's almost a hybrid between a small nebula and a planet, I imagine. So maybe it would disperse? And then it's detritus would eventually be captured into the gravitational orbit of Saturn? Adding to it's rings? This is pure guessing on my part. Makes a cool visual, though.

Thing with Jupiter is it's so damn huge! Bigger than all the solar systems other planets and satellites combined! And your topic reminded me of how I recently read that many Cosmology guys think that one of the requisite components a planet needs to harbor intelligent life is for it to have a huge ass Jupiter type planet in it's solar system so it can deflect potentially fatal foreign bodies like asteroids and meteors from hitting it. I found this interesting, being a strong proponent of the idea that we are far from being alone in the universe.

Thanks!

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Ok so what if it was a smaller gaseous planet. Let's take Neptune, or the smallest gaseous planet possible that can exist with our laws. What would happen to the planet itself, and all the gasses it contains, if something fast and big enough were to smash into it.

It would then be a planetary collision.

That, would basically destroy both planets for a long time(years, hundreds of years, thousands of years. Not sure.), sending fragments or gas into a massive area. The gravity though, would slowly pull them back together and merge into an even bigger planet.

Since it's a gas planet, I think that gas would smash out in a massive plume all around where Neptune hit it, and eventually fall back to Juipiter, simply adding to the mass. But then, I'm not sure.

I suggest asking strange or swansnot.