Got an MS admission offer. Have so many questions!

random_soldier1337

I had applied to several universities and got a positive reply from the University of Florida for the program in MS Nuclear Engineering.

Anyway, these are my questions:

1. Is there anything I should be aware of in particular about the university, the program at this university or the region in general? Whatever you guys know is fine. It would be too much of me to ask everybody detailed info on this.

2. My undergraduate background is in Electronics and Communications so that might make people a bit skeptical. However, I have this admission offer now. They must have seen something and regardless of what it is, if something trivial, I will not back off from any and all work it takes me to make the most of this opportunity and beyond that.

What preemptive measures can I take prior to joining to ease myself to the greatest degree into my studies?

3. The letter says that I have to respond by April 15. Obviously, I am still waiting for other responses. It is not possible that they would rescind the offer prior to that date, would they?

4. What is the research scene like at this level?

My thesis will be the most important, I believe, but is there anything else I can or should do during my MS to improve my credentials as a researcher in this field?

I am not particularly familiar with the process it takes to become a fully fledged and recognized researcher. I only know a few bits and pieces such as you have to work well with other recognized professionals in the field on their research projects, internships during summers/after the program, perhaps submitting some papers of your own (though, you have to be affiliated with a recognized institute in my understanding). However, this is a bit vague, so is there anything that I should specifically be informed of?

5. How exactly does writing a thesis work? And how would I find a suitable topic to write one on? Or hot topics for research in general?

6. Given my background, is there an heavy obligation to draw from it at the university, in my studies or otherwise?

Edited by random_soldier1337

Wow! Great news. I loved my Masters - great fun compared to other levels; serious but not draining. As all my studies are in Law and in the UK I will refrain from guessing at the answers to your questions

You have done your studies in law? You seem to have a greater interest in science seeing as you hang out here and I didn't ask too many high level physics questions but you seemed to answer them quite appropriately when I had asked earlier. What's your story if you don't mind me asking?