How do I get 19 mL of .1M Ag(NH3)2?

StillThinking

I will be making Ag(NH3)2 (diamminesilver), but am trying to figure out how to get 19 mL of a .1M solution of it? I am not sure how to achieve the .1M aspect of Ag(N3)2 in order to measure out 19 mL if it. Any help as to what steps I need to do along the way when making the Ag(NH3)2 to achieve the .1M would be appreciated.

Are you familiar with calculations used to work out concentration and number of moles? There are two that concern you:

concentration (moles/litre; often written as M) = number of moles / volume (litres)

Number of moles = mass (grams) / molar mass (grams/mol)

These are all you need, in addition to working out the molar mass of your compound (this is easily searchable).

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I do realize the calculations for moles, etc., but what I am unsure about is the following:

In order for me to make Ag(NH3)2, I will be taking aqueous AgNO3, adding aqueous NaOH, stirring, then adding liquid ammonia until the solution clears. How do I know how much and what dilution of all the components to add in order to achieve Ag(NH3)2 and that be .1M?

Edited by StillThinking

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I do realize the calculations for moles, etc., but what I am unsure about is the following:

In order for me to make Ag(NH3)2 I will be taking aqueous AgNO3, adding aqueous NaOH, stirring, then adding liquid ammonia until the solution clears. How do I know how much and what dilution of all the components to add in order to achieve Ag(NH3)2 and that be .1M?

You should have made that more clear in your OP.

The amounts of reagents you need to add is really something you should figure out as part of your experimental procedure. Where did you get your method from exactly that you don't already have this information?

Do you know what happens when you add the hydroxide? What does the reaction look like? As for your last question, you can't really do a reaction to produce a specific and precise concentration of product in this way, because it depends on the yield of the reaction and any number of other variables. You can make an educated guess based on stoicheometry and assuming quantitative yields and that you don't have any Ag2O left, however. This relies on you knowing the reactions involved, and on whether or not the other things in the solution are going to be problematic.

Regardless, and with respect, you don't really seem equipped to be making things that are potentially quite explosive. What is this for?

I appreciate your input. No worries, I have spent many, many hours in a chemistry lab in college. I am also quite familiar with working with NaOH since I make soaps, for which, of course, one needs lye in order for saponification to be achieved.

I have seen the compound I am looking to make be made many times; I simply do not know the amounts of the reagents that were used. What I am looking to do with the Ag(NH3)2 is to recreate an experiment where AgNP were created in a stable form using biosynthesis. Quite remarkable. For that experiment, however, I need Ag(NH3)2, aka diamminesilver, which I am sure you know gets used quite frequently to determine the presence of aldehyde or alpha-hydroxy ketone functional groups.

Anyway, thank you for you input and time. I appreciate it.

I should also point out that it isn't Ag(NH3)2, it's [Ag(NH3)2]+. You would be making the nitrate salt in this case, aka Tollens reagent. I don't know of a good way of purifying this as it is not really my area. A thought has occured to me that might help, but I'd first like to know if you're making the NP for the purposes of consuming them or what?

Thank you for putting the chemical formula in its correct form.

I am looking to experiment with staving off mold on things we store in our basement with the final product, that being stable AgNP, for which I know silver nanoparticles are quite effective. I could, quite simply, get PVP (polyvinyl pyrrolidone) coated AgNP, being that PVP has shown to be very effective for stabilizing AgNP and also acts as a good dispersant, with many experiments showing the effectiveness of PVP capped AgNP, however PVP is derived from petroleum, which I am not looking to work with. The experiment that was carried out that I am looking to reproduce used [Ag(NH3)2] to mix with a particular vegetable extract, which eventually synthesized stable AgNP. I have everything I need to go forward with this experiment, except what amounts I need of the reagents.

I have been in touch, meanwhile, with a researcher/ professor at a university who is very involved in the field of nanoparticles. I found one of his published papers online and thought it to be of great interest, and decided to try to make contact with him to see if he could possibly give me ideas on how to best try to recreate the experiment I have in mind in a home environment with the products I had on hand. He was very kind, patient, and helpful.

Anyway, I am all set now and wanted to thank you for your time.