• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cheisenberg

Cheisenberg

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 3 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi everyone. I have a problem and question for you. I'm working on some organic synthesis and end of the synthesis, I have undesired product which is 1,3-dichloropropanol. How can I remove this chemical. I have tried evaporation but this is not feasible because this need very much energy. If you help me, I will be pleasure :)

#2 hypervalent_iodine

hypervalent_iodine

Malevolent Viper

• Moderators
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 3 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Could you possibly give some more detail on the desired product? Why is the energy requirement for evaporation too high?

#3 Cheisenberg

Cheisenberg

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 3 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Desired product is chlorohydroxypropyl ammoniumchloride which is made by reaction epichlorohydrin and trimethylamine hydrochloride. 1,3-DCP is undesired byproduct. And to remove is dificult because its boiling point is 174C. I tried some resins to remove but it didnt work.

#4 hypervalent_iodine

hypervalent_iodine

Malevolent Viper

• Moderators
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 4 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

Desired product is chlorohydroxypropyl ammoniumchloride which is made by reaction epichlorohydrin and trimethylamine hydrochloride. 1,3-DCP is undesired byproduct. And to remove is dificult because its boiling point is 174C. I tried some resins to remove but it didnt work.

Do you have access to a controlled vacuum? You could vacuum distill the DCP off with mild heating. Strange that ion exchange resins didn't work though. What were you using?

#5 Cheisenberg

Cheisenberg

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 4 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Yes we tried vacumm distilation, it works, but it spends much time. And we tried resin, dcp decreased to 2000ppm from 10000ppm. But there is a problem that active matter decrease to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users