How to measure growth of algae with a spectrometer?

Summerdreams

For a science experiment I am trying to measure the growth of algae grown in these test tubes. I have a spectrometer available and I have been told I can measure the growth of algae by using a spectrometer to help analyze the algae's density. However, I am unsure about the steps and what nm setting I should use. Can somebody please help?

For a science experiment I am trying to measure the growth of algae grown in these test tubes. I have a spectrometer available and I have been told I can measure the growth of algae by using a spectrometer to help analyze the algae's density. However, I am unsure about the steps and what nm setting I should use. Can somebody please help?

I believe it would depend on the species of algae. I used to work with some chlorella species, which I think we measured in the high 600 nm range. You should be able to find literature that specifies a wavelength. However, for the best results using this method you will want to make a standard curve that measures actual cell count against absorbance, which would require a hemocytometer and light microscope.