synthesizing block polymers for use in making templates

Clea

I am a postgraduate and (will) have access to a lab.

I want to synthesize a block copolymer, (maybe PS-b-PMMA?)
The block copolymer should microphase separate to form a nano-array domain which I then intend to use as a template to deposit another polymer, (probably polypyrrole, or PEDOT?)

This link should help convey my intention
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/material-matters/use-of-block-copolymers-in-nanoscale-patterning.html

I cannot afford to buy the block copolymer, and I am wondering if it's possible to synthesize it myself in the lab.
I have no experience in this and this is more of an exploratory thing to me.

Edited by Clea

It is definitely possible to synthesise it (the link I posted should help), but if you are unfamiliar with the process or techniques used you may end up spending as much as the block copolymer costs in time and materials attempting to make it (not to mention the huge risk you invoke in performing reactions with no experience). Synthetic chemistry is a harsh mistress. Are you in any way familiar with organic chemistry in a technical sense? Is your lab equiped with the proper hardware for the synthesis? Is it possible for you to collaborate with a group that works in polymer synthesis to help you out?

-------

Oh, one other question. Have you looked anywhere besides Sigma? Their prices are often terrible.

I checked Polymer Source prices, but it is still unaffordable considering my application (cheap, simple sensors).
Admittedly I've never heard of 'microphase separation' and 'block copolymers' till two weeks ago and ' ATRP' till today. I didn't ask my university friends yet.

I found a paper on its synthesis

'Synthesis of Functional Poly(styrene)-block-(methyl methacrylate/ methacrylic acid) by Homogeneous Reverse Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization: Spherical Nanoparticles, Thermal Behavior, Self-Aggregation, and Morphological Properties' (Pizarro, G. C. et al., 2013)

but it involves lots of things I don't understand and more work than I care to do. I think I'll drop the idea altogether and use something more straightforward. like carbon nanotubes. Looking up how to make CNTs cheaply and simply.

Thank you

Edited by Clea